nano external power issue

I have an Arduino nano and the program works great, it is just a simple moisture sensor and a nokia 5110 lcd display that reads the moisture %. anyway the unit works great when hooked up with the usb cable but when I hook up a 9v battery to the gnd and vin pins of the nano the lights come on for the sensor but the lcd screen stays blank. Any Idea's? Thanks

Sam

You probably need more current than a 9V battery can supply. You also probably need more current than the tiny on-board 5V regulator can supply.

OK, Thank you. I will most likely build a proto board that will use higher current. nothing fancy just something to be portable.

kau_cinta_ku: OK, Thank you. I will most likely build a proto board that will use higher current. nothing fancy just something to be portable.

I bought a USB power adapter board on eBay. |500x500

You could probably build it yourself.

I plan to power my project from a USB power pack that they sell to power smartphones.

ieee488: I bought a USB power adapter board on eBay. |500x500

You could probably build it yourself.

I plan to power my project from a USB power pack that they sell to power smartphones.

I like this idea, thankyou.

ieee488: I plan to power my project from a USB power pack that they sell to power smartphones.

The limitation here of course, is that they have a power button that you need to press to turn it on, and if its current consumption drops below a certain figure, it turns off.

That may or may not be convenient!