Nano input voltage

I am waiting for a Nano but am a little confused (as usual) about the power input. I would like to use one of those Breadboard Power Supply Modules 3.3V - 5V but the spec states an input voltage of 7-12V. I would have thought that %v would have been OK but I suppose it depends on the output load. The only other way for me would be a 12 supply if I could get it connected as there is no DC power jack. Any help for an old fogie would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian :slight_smile:

Power input options for the Nano

1 - 5v via the USB connector
2 - 5V via the 5V pin
3 - 7V to 12V via the Vin pin

OK, thanks for that. Is it still OK to put 12V on the Vin pin? I have read that there might be problems with applying 12V to a Nano (heat dissipation?) but OK on a Uno.

Brian

The problem usually occurs if you use the 5V pin as a power supply for external components and take too much current from it. That is not what the 5V pin is deigned for

Personally I would use an external regulated 5V supply to power the Nano

UKHeliBob:
The problem usually occurs if you use the 5V pin as a power supply for external components and take too much current from it. That is not what the 5V pin is deigned for

Personally I would use an external regulated 5V supply to power the Nano

Just to be clear (I know I'm stupid) do you mean connect the 5V to the 5V pin or Vin or either.

Connect 5V power supply to the 5V pin. On a Nano, you can in that case still use the USB when doing that, on an Uno/Mega it's at least unwise as you might be feeding external 5V into your PC.

The Vin pin requires a minimum of 7V.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.