Nano not communicating with computer

In the dropdown box, select Hardware Ids.

I've done both of those, the IDE shows Com5 and Com6 on the "Tools/Ports" but no board associated with them, either plugged in or not. Device manager shows Com5 as being active but not as a Nano. It has substituted a Windows driver for Bluetooth. I can't read the marking on the chip but it look like it might be a CH340. I'm seriously leaning towards as bad data cable, but can't be sure until I get some parts next week, so the project is on hold for the moment

No, I haven't, but that's a good idea. I'm reasonably sure that it is the CH340 from your description and what I could raise. I'll try the isopropyl alcohol and/or acetone next time I dig into it. Thanks.

I'm reasonably sure that they are a Nano. I tried four out of ten, and all four have the same reaction, no communication, with either of two data cables from the computer to the Nano board. BTW the two were purchased in lots of five from two different vendors. Each group have the same components of them but different markings on the silk screen of the board, making them either a different iteration of the board or a different manufacturer. If the one of the cables were good, the chances of one set communicating are pretty good. I didn't commit the other six to a test for fear that I may have damaged the first four (two from each batch) with a bad cable. The project is on hold until I get some new parts (data cables and adapters for type C "printer" to mini-B for the Nano) in next week. One of those should work. I'll let you all know. Thanks all.

Weird? Yes, my thoughts exactly, but with Microshit who knows what it may substitute if it doesn't see the USB interface. Funny thing, the computer does recognize a USB device plugged in, but giving the USB plugin notification sound and the USB unplugged notification sound.

I've done both of those, the IDE shows Com5 and Com6 on the "Tools/Ports" but no board associated with them, either plugged in or not. Device manager shows Com5 as being active but not as a Nano. It has substituted a Windows driver for Bluetooth. I can't read the marking on the chip but it look like it might be a CH340. I'm seriously leaning towards as bad data cable, but can't be sure until I get some parts next week, so the project is on hold for the moment

Update, on my problem. PROBLEM SOLVED. As per usual with MicroShit, when it updated my Windows10 last time, it clobbered the driver for the USB detection of the Nano for some reason. Uno works fine. I had to download an updated driver detection file from Microshit. I'm surprised that, they detected the problem so fast, since the last full update was about a week ago. Device manager now shows "USB-Serial Device CH340(Com4) and I was able to upload "BLINKER" to the processor after setting the Processor to "OLDBOOTLOADER". Thank you to all of your wonderful suggestions. Who knew Microshit would F***up things. lol