Nano vs 9V Battery

Folks,

Can I power my Nano with a 9V Battery? Will the Nano be ok? If so, would I connect the negative end of the battery to the GND pin on the Nano? And the positive of the battery to VIN on the Nano?

Thank you.

Tony

Can I power my Nano with a 9V Battery?

Yes, you can.

Will the Nano be ok?

Most likely - yes. Depends on what else have you connected to your Nano

If so, would I connect the negative end of the battery to the GND pin on the Nano? And the positive of the battery to VIN on the Nano?

Yes, it's correct. But be aware that your 9V battery will not last long .

Yes, it will work. But a nano running on a battery is not a useful circuit by itself. To do anything useful you would normally have other components connected to the Nano. If these only draw small currents, it will work with the 9V battery, although not for long because of the low capacity. Components that need anything more than a small current will quickly show you the limitations of 9V batteries. In addition to the low capacity, they also have a high internal resistance. This means that when you draw anything more than a small current from them, the voltage will drop, possibly causing the Nano to become unstable or reset itself. But whatever current is drawn, almost half the battery's capacity will be wasted. The Vin pin connects to the nano's regulator. The regulator turns 9V into 5V by turning nearly half the power into waste heat.

A much better option is a holder for 4 x AA or AAA NiMH rechargeable cells. This can be connected directly to the 5V pin, bypassing that wasteful regulator and have a much higher capacity. DO NOT use 4 x non-rechargeable cells like that, the voltage will be too high and could damage the Nano. If you must use non-rechargeables for some reason, maybe a holder for 3 x AA or AAA.

Thanks All.

Karma sent.

Happy holidays.

arduino nano input voltage is listed as 7-12 volts, so yeah, probably