NAS disk access by Ethernet Arduino ??

Can anyone help me with this ?
I want to produce an Arduino project where the sketch will need the contents of files resident on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. Is there any way that this can be achieved simply ?? (Sorry - I don't know a lot about the Ethernet Arduino, but I haven't seen any references to it operating in this way)
Any help will be greatly appreciated !

It's easy to share data via HTTP, so if you can arrange an intermediate PC to pull up the files you need and publish them via HTTP, that would give you a viable solution. If you want to do it without using an intermediary then you need to find / create a network client using one of the protocols that your NAS supports, such as NFS, AFS, SMB. Reading data from a file using these protocols is not conceptually very difficult, but a typical NAS server would be secured and writing a secure client is a much harder proposition. If your client supports non-SSL FTP then that would give you another option and I expect you would be able to find an FTP client library for the Arduino - I'm pretty sure there are FTP server implementations around, anyway.

Hi Peter, Many thanks for your comments - very helpful and this encourages me to investigate further. I want to avoid an intermediate PC, as it seems like overkill to keep it powered up 24/7 as the files always need to be available for access in the proposed project. The NAS involved is quite sophisticated, so hopefully it will enable one of the solutions that you mention - I shall start looking into that ..... !! Thanks once again !

You didn't mention what NAS it is; depending on what it is, you might be able to roll your own extension or plugin for it (for example, if it was based on FreeNAS or some other open source NAS software).

Also - you might not need a full-blown PC for an intermediary - maybe you could re-purpose a wireless router or something using OpenWRT or similar, and have that be your intermediary?

Another option would be to use a Raspberry PI or some other small form-factor embedded board (if you wanted to stick with PC stuff, you could even go with the Nano ITX form-factor). There's also the possibility of using an old cast-off laptop running Linux (doesn't have to be anything fancy, either - an old 486 laptop with a dead battery would work fine).

More difficult - but still potentially possible - would be to use some kind of small Android-based device - an old smartphone or tablet, perhaps...?