Native Sanguino Support

I'm the software lead for the BrewTroller project, an open source process controller for brewing beer. Our project is getting close to a year old and we have nearly 50 systems running worldwide. Our system is built on the Sanguino/ATMEGA644P and we continue to have problems with users getting up and going especially with the manual addition of the Sanguino software. If the ATMEGA128 was available a year ago we might not have this problem but at this time we don't want all of our existing users to have to throw away their current systems to upgrade. What would it take to get Sanguino/ATMEGA644P support added to the native Arduino base?

Don't know. I know several of us asked about a year ago if it would ever be included into the IDE and heard nothing offical back.

It may be that it's because the Arduino Co. doesn't make a 644 based board, or if they included one vendors unsupported processor they would have to include all other vendors unsupported processor choices.

Whatever, so far it hasn't happened. And that's too bad because the 644 fills a nice missing step in memory size and features between the 168/328/644/1280 chip series.

Lefty

I'm the software lead for ... an open source process controller for brewing beer.

What would it take to get Sanguino/ATMEGA644P support added to the native Arduino base?

ummm...

sorry, couldn't help it. I honestly don't know who you would ask but I do know they're not obdurate about it because one of the members here has worked at getting attiny support included and it's coming in 0018. The changes for the sanguino are really minor by comparison so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I understand why having everyone make them is a problem though. As a stopgap have you thought about copying 0017, patching it, and hosting the zip yourself somewhere?

I'm considering it but was worried it might conflict with a license agreement. I'll look in to it a bit further. Is there any history of this being done by other projects?

I'm considering it but was worried it might conflict with a license agreement. I'll look in to it a bit further. Is there any history of this being done by other projects?

http://sanguino.cc/

In Arduino 0018, it will be easy to add new boards / cores / bootloader by unzipping a folder into the SKETCHBOOK/hardware directory. The distribution will continue to come with support for the official Arduino boards.

That sounds like a decent compromise.

Lefty

I agree. Thank you for this update.

Will we also be able to include 3rd party libraries in the sketchbook folder structure?

You can now: http://arduino.cc/blog/?p=313