Need a big display for Arduino

Hi!
My next project is a device that will require a sizable screen, about 5" - 7". I can either use an Arduino Due or Arduino Mega, but probably a due because it seems it has more computing power. (?)

I'm open to a large TFT. I've seen alot of stuff about this device.

Or, VGA output.

Three Criteria:

1. It has to be in color. I assume this writes off the TVOut library, because last time I checked TVOut only supports black and white.

2. There has to be room for other electronics. There needs to be open digital pins for other stuff.

3. I would prefer the code not to be super complicated or intensive on the processor, so the Arduino can also do other things while running the screen.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!
-SQ

Get a Pi.

INTP:
Get a Pi.

I've used Pi's before, but I would like to use an Arduino for this project. Aside from the display, the other features of the project are much more suitable for Arduino

(deleted)

Use a Pi and the Arduino if the Pi's I/O aren't enough.

Or put the project away and learn about the 'computing power' and 'processor' capabilities you mention.

At the risk of sounding overtly negative, I'd rethink your choices for both processor and display. That said, you missed one important physical attribute of the system. Do you need a 5 volt system? If you do, you're stuck with the Mega in spite of the fact it's a really slow device when you're talking big screens. If a 3.3 volt system is okay, then use the Due. That is if you're married to an Arduino. if not and you really just want the ease of use of the Arduino IDE, I'd recommend, without hesitation, a Teensy 3.5 or 3.6.

The Teensies give you the ease of programming with same IDE but that's about the end of the similarities. The memory, speed and library support is significantly better than the Due. While the Teensies aren't official Arduino, PJRC does donate a portion of the sales, same as Adafruit and Sparkfun, back to Arduino to continue support of the IDE.

The display. It's easy to dismiss the Amazon listed product. Probably one of the worst Chinese vendors around. They'll provide a customized version of UTFT and while the product will work, it's a notoriously slow library with very limited font support. Forget it. Move on.

The second display option you listed, the Vgaduino, while interesting, is IMO overpriced. You can purchase a bare 7" TFT and shield for that kind of money from a decent Chinese eBay vendor. But, you'd need a library to drive it and some way of developing the graphics. That's where the Vgaduino has been done one better. Nextion Display | ITEAD STUDIO OFFICIAL For about the same money, you can get a 5 or 7 inch Nextion. The Nextions all use a serial port on your processor to send high level commands to draw objects on screen so your processor isn't bogged down with the workload (not that it would bother a Teensy). It's a decent concept, the free tools are decent but Windows only.

Another consideration, display wise, but not mentioned is how many screens do you thing you'll have and how dynamic are those screens? The higher both of those terms, the more sense it makes to use an intelligent display with its own memory and processor.

avr_fred:
At the risk of sounding overtly negative, I'd rethink your choices for both processor and display. That said, you missed one important physical attribute of the system. Do you need a 5 volt system? If you do, you're stuck with the Mega in spite of the fact it's a really slow device when you're talking big screens. If a 3.3 volt system is okay, then use the Due. That is if you're married to an Arduino. if not and you really just want the ease of use of the Arduino IDE, I'd recommend, without hesitation, a Teensy 3.5 or 3.6.

The Teensies give you the ease of programming with same IDE but that's about the end of the similarities. The memory, speed and library support is significantly better than the Due. While the Teensies aren't official Arduino, PJRC does donate a portion of the sales, same as Adafruit and Sparkfun, back to Arduino to continue support of the IDE.

The display. It's easy to dismiss the Amazon listed product. Probably one of the worst Chinese vendors around. They'll provide a customized version of UTFT and while the product will work, it's a notoriously slow library with very limited font support. Forget it. Move on.

The second display option you listed, the Vgaduino, while interesting, is IMO overpriced. You can purchase a bare 7" TFT and shield for that kind of money from a decent Chinese eBay vendor. But, you'd need a library to drive it and some way of developing the graphics. That's where the Vgaduino has been done one better. Nextion Display | ITEAD STUDIO OFFICIAL For about the same money, you can get a 5 or 7 inch Nextion. The Nextions all use a serial port on your processor to send high level commands to draw objects on screen so your processor isn't bogged down with the workload (not that it would bother a Teensy). It's a decent concept, the free tools are decent but Windows only.

Another consideration, display wise, but not mentioned is how many screens do you thing you'll have and how dynamic are those screens? The higher both of those terms, the more sense it makes to use an intelligent display with its own memory and processor.

Thanks for such a detailed response. :slight_smile:

I will take your advice and forget about that TFT. However, you seemed to imply that it was the specific display I linked to was not of good quality. Do you have other suggestions for similar technologies that are going to be better quality? (It's fine if you don't, it just sounded like you were implying the SPECIFIC TFT I linked to was bad, implying that there are other better quality ones.

I am very intrigued by the Teensy. I will look into it further.

While I agree that the shield I linked is quite pricy, I have noticed others online using simple (and cheap) VGA breakouts + a library to connect VGA directly to an Arduino. Is this a plausible course of action?

I have used a Nextion display before. (In fact, I still have it. It's just too small for this project.) While I would like to try something new, you make a very good point. (I wouldn't even NEED a Teensy if using a Nextion) I really just didn't know Nextions were made so large! :slight_smile:

I will look into the Teensy and larger Nextion further! :slight_smile:
-SQ

Hi,
What is the application that requires a large HMI and "would prefer the code not to be super complicated or intensive on the processor"?

Any information and advice we can give you will not be very concise unless we know the application.

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

The issue with the Amazon lisiting is the vendor. They have reputation for okay quality but horrible support. Email questions will result in either indecipherable replies or no response at all. If you scan the display forum subsection, you'll see the vendor name appear with regular frequency from users looking for support for their products.