Need a linux nerd, not responding

I had arduino working fine in ubuntu 9, but I have been in the process of switching my machines out to linux mint, as its just a remix and I like it much better

I installed mint on my bench machine a couple weeks ago but today is the first time I have gotten back to programming an arduino, and of course I am getting a not in sync error

Arduino has never had an issue with this machine before, nor in ubuntu .. I cant see what is wrong since mint is just a remix of ubuntu

I unplugged the arduino from this machine and took it to my other desktop which as windows 7 64 bit on it, and it worked no problem, so its not a arduino hardware issue

I am also not using a USB connection, its plugged into a real 9 pin RS232 port with a level converter

I set everything up per these instructions which have worked fine in the past, currently arduino loads and functions just fine except for programming

The only active serial port in the machine shows up as /dev/ttyS0, like it always has in the past and can be confirmed that that IS the serial port

osgeld@osgeld-bench ~ $ dmesg |grep tty
[    0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[    0.300456] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[    0.300764] 00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

watching the lines on a scope after the converter shows no activity, manually resetting the arduino has no effect

so what am I missing?

Thanks

Ubuntu is just a remix of Debian but its surprising how many differences there are....

Mint use different serial port drivers ? Just a wild guess.

yea but I am not finding much information with ubuntu or debian about why a serial port that shows up with grep would not be functioning

for giggles I just got done booting form pc dos 2000 and put a loopback on the serial port, using a term program the port itself is fine, so its a durn software problem

when I use

avrdude -c stk500 -p atmega328P -P /dev/ttyS0 -b 19200 -t

from the command line it gives me a different message

avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

eh when I use stk500v1 i get not responding (bangs head on desk)

Have you tried as root user, to make sure there are no permissions issues?

Its most probably a permissions problem.

If the "users and groups" setting gui is the same as ubuntu, I think mint is still based on ubuntu. Its just a matter of allowing your user to manage modems. It may have another name in other flavours of linux. This gives your user rights for the serial ports.

There are other command line ways to do this, but this is the easiest way Ive found so far.

Gordon

I looked at that and I have permissions to modems and "connect to the Internet via modem"

I will continue poking around with permissions see if I can get it to move

Hey,

I had the same problem today, When i am root I can find the USB connection, so when I excecute the IDE using the terminal with "sudo arduino" it works. but I enabled all kind of permissions in Gnome, but this didn't seem to help. If I look at the permissions of the files in the arduino directory, they are all owned by root, so this must be the problem. Changing the group to user in the permissions might help.

I'm going to try this and see what happens,

Best regards,

Zeger

ok I had user permissions to use modems in gnome, and the arduino folder was set as my user group

Owner was set to create and delete files, though group was set to just list files, setting it to create and delete files and applying it to all files below and its now functioning

woot