Need a Low latency wireless module for arduino, but also a USB dongle for PC???

Hi, I am involved in a project where we are acquiring real-time human biometric information and I need to develop a semi-final product sensor array utilizing an Arduino atmega328p MPU and some wireless tech.

I have looked at the nRF24L01+ and find it to be amazing in all regards, except I could not find a ready-made USB dongle for the PC side.

So I must consider other options and was hoping someone here could help me find a ready made USB dongle + a radio for the bio suite sensor array.

I need the lowest latency possible for an update interval of ~8.3ms apart and data spans 14byes.

If someone knows of a pre-made nRF24L01+ dongle, that would also be great!

Thanks!

When I Googled nRF24L01 USB I got lots of hits.

However IMHO the simplest solution is to use another Arduino connected to the PC to interface an nRF24L01+ to your PC. That's how I do it.

Using an Arduino has the advantage that it could accumulate several messages before passing them on the the PC.

...R

Robin2:
However IMHO the simplest solution is to use another Arduino connected to the PC to interface an nRF24L01+ to your PC. That’s how I do it.

Thanks for the tip, and this is probably exactly how I will create the prototype,

However for mass production I would really like an off the shelf dongle that is fully enclosed and small form factor.

I can justify designing and assembling the sensor array boards, but to add yet another board to be designed and manufactured by us creates a lot of overhead (at this point).

We need a simple snap together system ASAP, and sorry if I sound a little hasty, but my peers are rushing me :stuck_out_tongue:

I just can’t understand why no solutions exist for the nRF24L01+ ??

megaBlocks:
I just can't understand why no solutions exist for the nRF24L01+ ??

What has Google found for you?

...R

Bluetooth seems like the obvious choice. Most modern laptops and handheld devices have it built in and there are USB dongles for machines that don't have built-in Bluetooth.

Robin2:
What has Google found for you?

...R

All I see are kits similar to this:

Which I can not provide to a customer without a proper enclosure.

What I am seeking is a dongle that is in an enclosure:

This is Zigbee, which I have tried before and the latency was not very good.

I was told that the nRF24L01+ is a fantastic radio with low latency, and I am very interested in attempting to use it if possible.

MrMark:
Bluetooth seems like the obvious choice. Most modern laptops and handheld devices have it built in and there are USB dongles for machines that don't have built-in Bluetooth.

This is definitely a consideration, but I am seeking the absolute lowest latency for a decent cost, and I am not sure about BT when compared to the nRF24L01+ radio.

Aside from the dongle requirement, would Bluetooth provide better performance than a nRF24L01 for short range sensor net applications?

megaBlocks:
Aside from the dongle requirement, would Bluetooth provide better performance than a nRF24L01 for short range sensor net applications?

Almost all my experience has been with nRF24s so I don't know how Bluetooth latency compares. It would not be very difficult to run some tests.

What about making a 3D printed enclosure for the RF24 parts?

...R

but I am seeking the absolute lowest latency for a decent cost, and I am not sure about BT when compared to the nRF24L01+ radio.

I need the lowest latency possible for an update interval of ~8.3ms apart and data spans 14byes.

14 bytes (with 10 serial bits per byte with 8N1) will be just over 3.6 ms at 38400 baud rate and 1.2 ms at 115200. These are common Bluetooth baud rates and should meet your latency needs.

What is the process time for collecting the data to be sent? What else is the Arduino doing?

I agree with MrMark that Bluetooth is a good way to go for easy, low cost, wireless interface to a PC.