Need a mentor for my Arduino project !!

I just have started with Arduino just over few weeks ago. What I want to implement is to mount my device on the wall. The device would have Arduino Uno + Camera on motor + Ethernet Shield and three sound sensors (all three sides except towards the wall). So whenever there is a sound detected, the camera with rotate towards the sensor nearest to the sound source. Camera will click the picture instantly and try to save it on SD card on Ethernet Shield (not sure, can I write on SD card). Once the picture is taken, an alert email will be send to a concern person. I know there is lots of stuff I am trying to do. But I think I can pull this one with some help. Can someone comment about the feasibility of the project, roadblocks if any, suggestions or even help me with the stuff throughout when I need.

Thanks

project is feasible, but it might be hard for a first project.

Have you already done the math? How to determine the direction? You have three arrival times of every soundwave determining the phase shifts is a project in itself.

Do you have ideas how to handle continuous sound? Or multiple sound sources?

not trivial

Mighty ambitious first project, unless you have a lot of experience programming and a fair amount of electronics know-how. Agree with Rob, the directional sound location is difficult. I wouldn’t know where to start myself, but my gut feel is that it might take more processing power than the 8-bit MCUs can offer.

Yes, you are right. Its bit hard for my first project . Thanks for the suggestion though. I have another plan just to make my 1st project with Arduino much simpler. I ll just use PIR sensor (which I have already done it ) to detect any movement in my room.

Also any idea on whether I can save images on SD card on Ethernet shield ?

liverpool: Yes, you are right. Its bit hard for my first project . Thanks for the suggestion though. I have another plan just to make my 1st project with Arduino much simpler. I ll just use PIR sensor (which I have already done it ) to detect any movement in my room.

Good idea. Start small, work on the various pieces of the project individually.

Also any idea on whether I can save images on SD card on Ethernet shield ?

Sure, although images tend to be a lot of data, so image processing is not usually a suitable application for an Arduino.

piezo sensors in tubes. multiple sensors, the highest value is the one to use.

sounds like you have a lot going on. the beauty is that you can develop each individually. the sound device would need to rotate the camera to the sound, or rotate a mirror for the camera

it would take some trial an error to see if you have to use 360 senors, or you can combine two and move to the location that represents the value of each. if each is equal, then directly in between. if one is twice the other, then the location would favor the higher value.

that could be one project in itself !

Use a servo motor to rotate the camera.

Have you thought about using a wifi sd card in a normal off the shelf camera?

If you don't want to modify the camera you could have another servo push the shutter button.