Need a sunlight-visible, low-power display.

I'm aware of the Nokia 5110, but have to reject them for a few reasons; they have mechanical issues that cause them to fail at alarming rates, they're too small, their resolution is too low for my application.

I don't need color. 1-bit is sufficient. I don't need a backlight, since it'll always be used in daylight, anyway.

• I'm probably in need of a 240x180-ish display. I could possibly do 180x120, but it would be tight.
  • The display should be around 4-5 inches. I can go higher resolution to get the larger display, if necessary.
  • It needs to be capable of at least a 10Hz update rate (though I wouldn't be updating all pixels every frame, just 100 or so).
  • It has to draw very little power. I have to run this thing on battery for 4+ hours.
  • It has to be durable. The environment it'll be used in is pretty abusive of hardware. I can pack it in a sturdy case with a lexan cover, but it'll get dropped. A lot.
  • It MUST be readable when in direct sunlight. The user will not be able to re-orient it if it's unreadable in some illumination situation.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

E-paper sounds to me the closest thing to your specification, although I am not sure if it can update at the speed you have asked for.

I don't need a backlight, since it'll always be used in daylight

Actually you need a reflective version. If I remember correctly, LCDs are produced in the following variants: Transmissive, transflective and reflective.
This requirement will already increase the price. Such displays are not available via these cheap marketplaces

I'm probably in need of a 240x180-ish display. I could possibly do 180x120, but it would be tight.

Again a cost factor. Everything until 128x64 is cheap. Above this, displays get expensive.

The display should be around 4-5 inches. I can go higher resolution to get the larger display, if necessary.

ok....

It needs to be capable of at least a 10Hz update rate (though I wouldn't be updating all pixels every frame, just 100 or so)

This is more a software issue. Arduino Uno might be at its limits, but with any Arduino MKR I do not see a problem.

It has to draw very little power. I have to run this thing on battery for 4+ hours.

Doable with e-paper and LCDs

It has to be durable. The environment it'll be used in is pretty abusive of hardware. I can pack it in a sturdy case with a lexan cover, but it'll get dropped. A lot.

Well...

It MUST be readable when in direct sunlight. The user will not be able to re-orient it if it's unreadable in some illumination situation.

Yes, this "reflective" LCD is the keyword. More sunlight will make it more readable.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

The DOGXL240N probably meets most of your requirements Chip-On-Glass DOG Displays from DISPLAY VISIONS, Display Visions

The "N" version of this display is the reflective version https://www.lcd-module.com/fileadmin/eng/pdf/grafik/dogxl240-7e.pdf

The size is 3.9" but I would still call it large.

As I already mentioned, you need to pay little more for your requirements: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=dogxl240n

I once had a chance to work with the "W" version of this display (to add support for U8g2 Arduino Lib, of course "N" version is also supported by U8g2)

Oliver

olikraus:
As I already mentioned, you need to pay little more for your requirements:

I wonder if this is why somebody round here is asking about running two 5110s together?