Need advice: lamp controller

Hi guys,

I'm a new member and excited to learn about this forum. I'm helping my Dad with a lamp project and he needs a method to turn on and off the lights.

This is a custom lamp with (3) tungsten light bulbs. He would like a knob that you can twist to slowly turn on one light at a time. For example, as you twist the knob, the first light bulb would begin to get brighter and brighter until it's fully powered. Then as you continue to turn the knob, the second light bulb would begin to turn on, brighter and brighter, until the third light bulb turns on and is fully powered.

I'm not new to programming, but I'm new to electronics and Ardundio. However I can learn things pretty fast with examples and figuring things out.

What do you guys think? Would this be a simple project?

I know that I need a potentiometer or pwm, some relays, and other electrical items, just from my passing knowledge of how it might work.

I really need some help creating a wiring diagram to accomplish what I described.

I look forward to any feedback.

Thank you.

If you're new to programming, I think it's wise to start with a low voltage version with three (white) LEDs and a control pot.
Try the analogRead and analogWrite (PWM) examples in the IDE.
Leo..

Wawa:
If you're new to programming, I think it's wise to start with a low voltage version with three (white) LEDs and a control pot.
Try the analogRead and analogWrite (PWM) examples in the IDE.
Leo..

Wawa,

I mentioned that I am not new to programming. Been doing it for 15 years, so I am comfortable in this area. However I am not comfortable with electronics and wiring diagrams.

Relays can't dim a lamp. They can only do off or on. You need a lamp dimmer.

Are you sure you have dimmable bulbs to start with? Many bulbs based on newer technology like LED or CFL can't be dimmed.

Use an "audio" or "log taper" pot so that the perceived change in brightness is more linear, or just do the conversion in code.

Google "smart light bulb" or "smart light bulb adapter"
Controling your lights with RF or WiFi might be a lot safer.
Leo