Need advice on Arduino + RFID home smart system

Hi,

I'm Aizul.

First of all, I have no background on Electrical Engineering or any logic circuit and diagrams but I can read few pins and gates. I need advice on an assignment regarding home smart system. I need to come up with a design. So, I'm going to use RFID and Arduino. The assignment need only the design and some research and analysis on it. I need not to build the system. I am planning to design it like,

1. Microcontroller to control the behaviour (on/off/unlock/lock) of lamp, door, refrigerator and music player.
  2. Each of those 5 devices has an RFID reader.
  3. All RFID readers are connected by usb into a usb hub.
  4. Usb hub will connect directly to microcontroller (Arduino).

So here are the questions:

1. Can this be done?
  2. Can I connect the readers like that?
  3. Can I use the usb for that purpose? or is it use for something else?
  4. Will the data travel from readers to usb of Arduino? Or I need another device in between?
  5. Is the usb on Arduino Uno the only way to communicate with PC?
  6. Which RFID module do you recommend?
  7. What number system Arduino used?
  8. Do you have better suggestion?

I think that's all for now. This assignment is only for research and design. Don't worry about prices. I just need to know if it's going to work or not. If not, please share your reasoning. :slight_smile:

These are few of the requirements that I need to submit for my assignment:
Number System
Boolean Algebra
Gates and combinational logic circuit

I'm not sure what the boolean algebra wants. Does Arduino have that?

Btw, Arduino has not reached my country yet. I hope this assignment could introduce Arduino in my country XD

1. All RFID readers are connected by usb into a usb hub.
  2. Usb hub will connect directly to microcontroller (Arduino).

No that will not work. The arduino will not act as a host for other USB devices. The best action is to use an RFID with a Wiegand output and connect the two lines from each reader into an arduino.

You don't need a PC in the project at all.

Thanks for your reply, Grumpy_Mike :slight_smile:

When you mention 'connect the two lines from each reader into an arduino', are you referring to the Tx and Rx on Arduino? Is it possible to share these two lines with multiple readers? I'm curious..

I googled RFID with a Wiegand output and found one that uses RS232 to transmit serial data. I have reconstructed my design to include an eBox or PC in such a way that the usb hub will go through the eBox/PC first and eBox/PC will transmit serial data to Arduino via RS232. Is this going to work?

No it will not work.

A Wiegand output replaces the Rs232 output. It has two lines a logic zero line and a logic one line. The logic zero line pulses when There is a zero in the card output and the logic one line pulses when ther is a logic one.
These lines are connected directly to the arduino pins, so one arduino can handle all the readers.

There is no need to use any hubs, that is the bit that will not work, there is no need to use any PCs.

Grumpy Mike is being modest in not including this link in his posts:
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Crazy_People.html

Grumpy Mike is being modest

:slight_smile:

Nice thought but actually I was on my iPad and didn't have easy access to my page of links.

Thank you for the link PaulS. That's a great project. I will understand it further and include the Wiegand in my design. I will be back if I have further questions.

there's one more thing regarding the USB hub. Even if I try using USB Host Interface shield for Arduino, will it not work?

Even if I try using USB Host Interface shield for Arduino, will it not work?

No not if you are using a hub, it takes more software to do that and I don't think anyone has done it before. A hub is a device in itself.

Thank you for the link PaulS. That's a great project.

Any thanks to me for writing it then?

Sorry, I didn’t realize you are the author of that project. Many thanks! ^^

This Wiegand format… is it designed by hardware or can be applied to any reader?

Wiegand format is a way a reader can output its data. Most professional RID readers can be configured to have a Wiegand output or have Wiegand output version. It is the most popular method of getting data out of an RFID reader.

hi there,

I'm back with a few questions.

I choose Arduino mega 2560 for the research. What are PWM, Digital, Analog and Communications pins are used for? Which pins should I used to read RFID data? Which pins should I use to control devices such as door lock mechanism, on/off devices, and timing control? I assume RFID data are read through PWMs..

I assume RFID data are read through PWMs.

No PWM pins are outputs used for controlling things like motor speed, see:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/PWM.html

Which pins should I used to read RFID data?

Depends on the format of the reader, if it is a Weagand then any pin can be used, if it is serial then any of the serial communication pins.

Analogue input is to measure voltages that could be anything between 0V and +5V.

Hello guys..

I came here to thank you for all the help. I really appreciated it. I have learned a lot. Arduino is amazing! It will be my new hobby..

Anyway, I have finished this assignment so feel free to mark this thread as solved or something XD

Thanks Grumpy_Mike