Need Advise on How To Read Serial Line from MUX

Hello friends :). I need advice on what to use for my project. I designed a digital logic with ICs that outputs an 8-bit serial line. I am using a clock generated from my arduino uno (simply making a digital output pin high and low with a delay for the time I need) with currently 50% D.C. and 2ms period. All I need to do up to this stage is really just read the serial line. I have uploaded a picture with the clock(from the arduino) vs the MUX output (from the hardware).

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Image embedded for everyone’s convenience:

clock_vs_mux_output.png

Technique described here.

Are you asking for ideas to read the serial output?

You could read it on the same Arduino … just pick a different input pin and sample it. This is a kind of loopback test. Or you could use a second Arduino as a receiver.

You said “MUX output”, but I think you described a shift register. A schematic would help us understand what you have. If you don’t have one, try SchemeIt. It’s pretty easy to use, and it’s free.

Cheers,
/dev

Hi "/dev". Thnaks for the reply.

1. I asked for advice on how to read serial line that is going inside the arduino. "All I need to do up to this stage is really just read the serial line." In my case I must read it in the same Arduino.

2. I did consider using digital pin as input to read weather the pin is high or low (doing a manual sampling), but that will mean I need at least a start bit to indicate start of transmission. I don't want to do that because I will have to redesign my circuit.

3. It is not a shift register, I don't know where I described shift register, I used the abbreviation for Multiplexer (MUX). But anyways they both can generate a serial line.

4. You don't need a schematic to understand a simple question: "How do you read serial line in Arduino", thats why I posted a picture that shows the input (clock), and output (MUX output) of my system.

Thanks.

Your using synchronous communication. So read the clock pin and find the falling edge. When found, read the data pin. Wait for next falling edge of the clock pin and read again. Etx etc etc

And yes, it's the basics of a shift register.