Need alternative to RFID for electric door strike project

Hi all,

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am working on setting up an electric door strike for our apartment door. The problem is, I can't set up a reader on the outside of the door (can't do any drilling/construction) and the door/wall are too thick for a standard RFID reader.

1. Is there a way to set up a more powerful RFID reader with passive RFID tags?
  2. I was thinking maybe Bluetooth Low Energy would be good for this project? If so, what is the range? I was thinking that there will be no way to distinguish if you're near the door on the outside or the inside.
  3. Is there some other "passive" tag for proximity way of doing this?

Thanks!

BT could be an option, sure. However, also consider this: Your RFID reader doesn't necessarily have to be right at the door strike... Maybe you have placement options that would allow for a feasible reading distance while not requiring physical modification?

and the door/wall are too thick for a standard RFID reader.

You sure about this? You can easily get an 18" range with a passive tag.

osmosis311: The problem is, I can't set up a reader on the outside of the door (can't do any drilling/construction) and the door/wall are too thick for a standard RFID reader.

Have you tested this? My RFID reader is mounted on the inside of the wall by my door, to avoid making holes (and to protect it from being accessed, or indeed, noticed).

Also I notice that some tags have a longer range than others. For example a "card" tag has more range than a "button" tag (with the same reader).

Thanks guys! I tested using this: http://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Mifare-Antenna-Proximity-Arduino/dp/B00E0ODLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385660510&sr=8-1&keywords=arduino+rfid and it didn't work through the door.

Can you recommend a reader that I can try that might have a better read range?

Thanks!

Not sure you will like the price but I designed these:- http://www.pac.co.uk/products/readers-mainmenu-91/oneprox-readers-mainmenu-222.html

I don't see any prices....what's the ballpark?

If it's over $50, are there any others I can try that I can get on Amazon, Sparkfun, or Adafruit that might work through my door?

Thanks!

I don't see any prices.

So what does that tell you? But the actual real price for the components in them is the same price as your reader. But they are well out of your ball park by several parks.

I don't know off hand of any but look for ones with a real wire coil not PCB and one that is not one of those single chip designes or at leat not a built in front end. Any reader should have a typical range quoted check it out. If they don't say then don't buy.