NEED ASSISTANCE MAKING RC PROJECT

Hello everyone.

I am a Year 11 student undertaking a Cert II in Design and Technology and have been put in a group to complete a STEM task. Our task is to create a Mars Rover of sorts that is capable of:

• Travelling to preprogrammed GPS positions.
  • Collecting data at said GPS points i.e audio and camera recordings.
  • Having a camera that can wirelessly transmit live video footage.
  • Be controlled via a Laptop.
  • Possibly be able to deploy an aerial drone to take photos if the rover cannot reach the GPS point.

One of the many queries I have is, can Arduino support a project of this complexity? And could anyone please give me suggestions with parts that I would need to complete this project (electronic/programming wise)?

Thank you, - Aleks :slight_smile:

(To add, I have no previous programming/Arduino skills whatsoever.)

The audio and video is well beyond the capability of an Arduino. You would need a RaspberryPI for that. And if you have an RPi there are lots of other features you can use.

An Arduino may be useful as an interface between the RPi and the motor drivers. But I have never used an RPI and it may be possible to control everything with it.

...R

Companies that develop robots of this type typically have startup costs measured in 10s of millions of dollars.
You might want to mention this fact to the person who chose this project for your group.

My guess is that with huge amounts of adult help you'll end up with a Ardupilot Rover vehicle with a laptop sitting on top to do the video and remote control stuff.
Fundamentally it'll end up being a parent project with the students being onlookers.

arKtic:
One of the many queries I have is, can Arduino support a project of this complexity? And could anyone please give me suggestions with parts that I would need to complete this project (electronic/programming wise)?

To add, I have no previous programming/Arduino skills whatsoever.

There is a lot more involved in projects like this than having a list of 'recommended' parts and cribing a few online programs.

How about working it out with your own research and some practicals;

Get an Arduino, an UNO will do, see how you get on with the basics of flashing LEDs, reading buttons, running motors.

After a couple of months research and practice you will have a much better idea as to the scope of what you are attempting.