Need current divider?

Hi all, I have a doubt with arduino input.

I have to connect a solar panel that generates 6V and 700mA. I need to read the voltage generated, so I'm going to connect to an analog input of the Arduino Mega. The analog input pin has a maximum consumption of 40mA and 5V, I have a resistive divider to reduce the maximum voltage to 5V, my question is: I need a current divider? Or if the arduino only consumes 40mA not care that solar panel generate 700mA will consume only 40mA??

Thanks all !!

Yes 700mA is the most it can supply

40mA is the absolute maximum rating for an output pin. An input pin presents extremely high impedance and effectively draws no current. So just ensuring that the voltage on the analog pin is less than the supply voltage is sufficient.

The analog input does not consume any current (just 1uA, so effectively nothing). So a resistor divider to reduce 6V to 5V will be just fine.

Many thanks to all for solve my question. !!!

CrossRoads: The analog input does not consume any current (just 1uA, so effectively nothing). So a resistor divider to reduce 6V to 5V will be just fine.

1uA is the worst case across the full temperature range, in practice leakage is in the nA range or less I believe (unless you left the internal pull-up configured!).

You talking about a high impedance, but you know the value of this impedance??

Thanks !!!

Berni86:
You talking about a high impedance, but you know the value of this impedance??

The datasheet does not list an impedance spec. As MarkT said, it only lists “Input Leakage Current I/O Pin” (Table 29-1) and it only lists a Max value for that, 1µA. And that is across the range of TA = -40°C to 105°C, VCC = 1.8V to 5.5V. Just as a SWAG, Mr. Ohm would call that something around 5M?. I haven’t made any such measurements but I’d guess the typical value at room temperature exceeds that by a considerable margin.