need datasheet for nokia cmos camera

Hi, I have 2mp Nokia n71 camera module, it has 16 pins, I need to know what are these pins for future use of it. This camera is powerfull enough and cost me nothing and I want it to implment into my arduino projects. Just give me link to instruction of it, there are no part number on it and I don't know how to get more info about it.

I'd suggest doing some Googling. I found a forum that has pinouts(supposedly; you have to register to see the links and I don't feel like doing that) for multiple Nokia products, one of them being that camera module.

http://forum.shaarpmind.com/showthread.php/21826-Nokia-system-connector-PINOUTS-*new*

trecords:
This camera is powerfull enough and cost me nothing and I want it to implment into my arduino projects.

You might want to reconsider the "implment into my arduino projects" part. The Arduino is an absolutely lousy platform to choose if working with any kind of camera. A 2MP module will create image data that is over 1000 times more than the RAM of the ATmega processor.

The module might be suitable for a microprocessor-based platform.

Thanks war_spigot

I know that I need more RAM and I have created it, I think 512kb is enough for camera, I will use one of these modules:

I am also thinking to increase clocking to 20MHZ on arduino UNO.

The forum leads to this page:

I am not sure if it will work with 2.0mp camera also pins are 14 but in 2mps 16 (not sure yet, will check this then).
There are some pins that i couldn`t got what do they mans like: Strobe, VDDI ... how can i get instruction for them, seems they are general pins, but very different than usual arduino cmos camera pinouts :frowning:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: i found it:

all phones with total scheme descriptions :slight_smile: I hope i could realize my ideas.

trecords:
I know that I need more RAM and I have created it, I think 512kb is enough for camera

Based on what? Have you verified if the camera module has on-board processing to compress the image into JPEG for you? If not, 512kb is not going to be nearly enough to hold even a single image. With the 2K of RAM in the ATmega328 you aren’t going to be able to run an effective compression routine. (Nor will you be able to effectively work with an external I2C RAM chip to do it.)

(Hint: Most of these camera phone cameras do not have that capabilty. They rely on the phone’s built-in microprocessor).

trecords:
I am also thinking to increase clocking to 20MHZ on arduino UNO.

Processing speed is not your issue. Lack of memory and processing resources is. The Uno is based on a microcontroller and not a microprocessor. It controls things every well. It does not process data nearly as well. Not to mention the max rate at which you can transfer I2C on an Arduino is 400kHz. So 512 kilobytes (without overhead) will take at least 10 seconds to transfer, once.

Camera images and Arduino do not mix well. You really need to reconsider using it as a platform to deal with this camera module.

Don't forget that the phone's processor will have 32 bit wide memory, further increasing its speed and effectiveness.

:frowning: :frowning: all these replies makes me to pay more to buy some atmel microprocesor, actually my point is to learn this staff by practicing and not to go high end technology with use of arduino.
Thank you very much guys, i have learn many things here.

Don’t be entirely discouraged. What you want to do is probably possible, just not with an Arduino. Look at the PI or Beaglebone.

Yes i am just searching for new board i am thinking on this one:
MAX II EPM240 CPLD with board and JTAG programming pins

The issue is that i have bought all modules for arduino and now i am moving to other board and don`t know if they will work with it. Expences for this is already crossed my budget :frowning:

trecords:
Yes i am just searching for new board i am thinking on this one:
MAX II EPM240 CPLD with board and JTAG programming pins

In terms of interfacing with a hardware device like a camera, a CPLD isn’t going to do you much good. These are meant for glue-logic type of applications. Again you are not picking hardware that is meant for processing.

You need a microprocessor. For example, a board with an ARM-based 32-bit processor. Beaglebone/Beagleboard, Raspberry PI, for example.

You need a microprocessor. For example, a board with an ARM-based 32-bit processor. Beaglebone/Beagleboard, Raspberry PI, for example.

The boards you show me are already simple PCs, and they ready to use. I see that they are very powerful and i really liked Beagleboard, its is little and powerful with full features in one board, but the problem is its expensive and is much more than what i need. The scheme is very hard to understand.

I think CPLD may handle this, i can add one 2-4 mb SRAM on it and will increase Crystal Oscillator to 100-130Mhz and also will attache memory card reader for to store code and for general storage use and wireless transmitter.

I also bought this one to see what chips do they use for to create such little video recorder, i have invested $50+ and this is still not enough for to create video recorder, but they sell such tool for 10$ :frowning:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Spy-Button-PC-Cam-Camera-Voice-Recorder-DV-Video-DVR-/160811256051?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25711908f3

trecords:

The boards you show me are already simple PCs, and they ready to use. I see that they are very powerful and i really liked Beagleboard, its is little and powerful with full features in one board, but the problem is its expensive and is much more than what i need. The scheme is very hard to understand.

I think CPLD may handle this, i can add one 2-4 mb SRAM on it and will increase Crystal Oscillator to 100-130Mhz and also will attache memory card reader for to store code and for general storage use and wireless transmitter.

I also bought this one to see what chips do they use for to create such little video recorder, i have invested $50+ and this is still not enough for to create video recorder, but they sell such tool for 10$ :frowning:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Spy-Button-PC-Cam-Camera-Voice-Recorder-DV-Video-DVR-/160811256051?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25711908f3

I've seen people use FPGAs with camera modules before, but I'd agree with James. R Pi's are only like $25(though I'm not sure if there in stock yet). I would guess the reason those other ones are only $10 are

• They are made in large quantities
  • They have a chip purpose made for that application
  • Cheap Chinese labor/materials