Need direction on hardware

I am building a water brake dynamometer for a small engine. I have the mechanics completed and purchased an analog signal s beam loadcell ( reads In volts) and a digital signal Hall effect switch for rpm.

My goal is to collect load and rpm data when I push a button to start and end the data collection. I want to interface with a computer for data collection using USB hookup.
What arduino board would I need and where can I get programming assistance.

Thanks

A Mini sounds like the most suitable. USB connection built in, can be soldered for permanent installation, reasonably small footprint.

Programming assistance: specific questions can be asked here; or if you want someone to do the programming for you try the Gigs and Collaborations subforum.

What sort of range is the voltage output? Arduino uno should work...adjust voltage range with a voltage divider if needed

Fzyrrx:
What arduino board would I need and where can I get programming assistance.

What you want to do could be done by any Arduino.

The Uno is probably best for a beginner because most of the programs and most of the add-ons will work with it.

...R

The UNO/NANO/pro-mini all have about the same I/O and all use the same chip. all run at the same speed.

we often recommend the UNO because it can accept shields and is a bit easier to work with because of that.

From what you told us so far, I would recommend an UNO with an RTC shield. it will plug in and have a real time clock (RTC) that you may not care about, but it will also have memory and an SD card slot.

it will plug right into the UNO and from there, you can find lots of people who have used it. there is a small breadboard area in which you can wire up some resistors and such.

you should be able to get close to what you want with that.

once you get this working, and want more accuracy, or more resolution, let us know. I don't want to overload you with that just yet.

Phase II :
once you get up an running, storing data and such, you will most likely want to display it in real time.

The beauty of the UNO, well the software, is that if you feel the need to expand or go faster, or do more, there are other faster chips that will take the exact same sketch (program) with very little changes.

Sadly, the UNO is not fast enough to read the data, store it, and drive a display.

so far no one has discussed speed or how many times per second you want to log data.

as in motors, speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go ?
luckily, in this area, the entire project will cost less than one tire.

I HIGHLY recommend the UNO/RTC combo to start, because it will not be any wasted or double work to expand or move up. AND, if you do move up, you will use that for something else.

just to put it out there, faster chips and higher resolution Analog to Digital chips are there and are pretty low cost. and are and easy path to move into.

Fzyrrx:
I want to interface with a computer for data collection using USB hookup.

This is a vital part of your post. Since you are connected to PC, you don't need a RTC or an SD. If you use a proper terminal programme, like RealTerm, you can record direct to .csv file on PC's hard drive and timestamp the recordings using the PC's clock along the way. Further, you are just serial printing, which I understand is a lot faster than recording to SD.

You might also check the PLX-DAQ macro, which enables you to record direct to Excel, thereby enabling you to get live graphs.

Hi
I am building a small engine water brake dynamometer. I have a wheat stone bridge load cell and a hall effect sensor for RPM. I need to get the signal in volts from the load cell, and the signal for the hall effect sensor converted to RPM, and output thru the USB of the UNO R3 to an excel spreadsheet. I would like to do it live, with a switch that I use to start the data collection and shut off the data collection. I would like the data tabulated in columns (one for voltage and one for RPM)
That said, I am asking the forum to offer suggested code and how/what I need to hook to the board.
I have the board powered with 9V battery source, and a printer cable to go from the board to the computer
Thanks for the help
load cell

hall effect switch

Fzyrrx:
I have the board powered with 9V battery source, and a printer cable to go from the board to the computer

This sounds like the battery might be redundant. If the proposed battery is a PP3, it would be a good idea to ensure it is redundant.