need guidance on setting up

Hi everyone.
I am doing a project on home automation. In order to do this project, I need guidance and a little bit of help. I want someone to guide me through every step or else I won't reach anywhere.

This is how my idea goes:
-Use android app (made using MIT App Inventor) to act as the remote for everything.
-This app communicates to the arduino via home Wifi network.
-Perform basic operations like switching ON/OFF lights, fans, door locks, open/close curtains, garage door, etc..
-Control the A/C, basic controls like temperature(+/-), fan speed(+/-).
-Receive doorbell notification with picture: when a person presses the doorbell, a picture will be taken at that instant and will be send to the user. The user sees a notification and when the user clicks on the notification, he will see the picture of the person who just rang the bell.
-Show the status of all the devices, for example: If the light is 'ON', it should show in the android app that it's 'ON'.

I want to know what all components are required for this project. I need guidance in choosing the components. The arduino model, shields, modules and what all we can think of.

I can help you with some things:

-This app communicates to the arduino via home Wifi network.

You might want to see https://www.spark.io/, or maybe some wifi shields Arduino Wi-Fi Shield - DEV-11287 - SparkFun Electronics

-Perform basic operations like switching ON/OFF lights, fans, door locks, open/close curtains, garage door, etc..

For appliances switching please study relays or triacs. Can't help you on door locking, motor driven appliances

-Control the A/C, basic controls like temperature(+/-), fan speed(+/-).

As for the A/C, you need a logic analyser, or a osciloscope, or a IR sensor to crack the IR remote code
this is good => Overview | IR Sensor | Adafruit Learning System
and this is great => Learn To Translate IR Codes And Retransmit Using Arduino | Hackaday

Cant help much with the rest though. Havent got much experience with them

i can help you with some basic things for home automation.

Arduino BLUETOOTH Communication with PC :- Embedded Systems: bluetooth

arduino relay interfacing (to connect fan or bulb):- Embedded Systems: relay

Thanks for responding to my post. XD
I will be ordering wifi shield and relays. And I am going to start working on IR.

Will I be needing multiple arduinos if I use multiple devices or if I want to control more than 1 room?
I would like to use zigbee.

I would require 1 arduino connected to the wifi shield to communicate with the android app. Can the same arduino use zigbee to connect to other arduinos to control various devices?
I am talking about one arduino connected to a wifi and zigbee. Will that work?