need guidance with chinese laser engraver project

hi

i have a chinese laser engraver. it is mounted to a bed with x and y axis motors. what i want to do is the following.

i want to take the laser off the kit and keep it in a fixed position on a machine. i would like to add 2 sensors to the kit. lets name these sensor 1 and sensor 2. sensor 1 will be attached to the main shaft of my machine using a sensor and a wheel. sensor 2 will go behind the back of machine head.

when sensor 2 is blocked it will activate the laser but not fire anything. now as sensor 1 is on a shaft that rotates, when the sensor is blocked it will not fire however when rotating it will fire the laser.

how do i go about setting something like this up. i really want to do this and need some guidance. the laser i have is one of the chinese cnc built laser engraver cutter you get off aliexpress.

any one got any idea how i go about achieving this?

thanks

You need to understand that we cannot see what you have, nor how it works now. Nor can we see the "sensors" you keep referring to. Please post a picture and links to data sheets or identifying information so we have a chance of knowing as much as you do.

Paul

To give you a better understanding here are some pics. The laser engraver I would like to take the laser off and attach it to a fixed machine head is the laser in the image attached . Sensor 1 is the sensor in the image that is above the shaft. Sensor 2 is the sensor that is blocked with L bracket.

So when the L bracket covers the sensor it activates the laser but doesn’t fire. Now the other sensor that is on the shaft, that shaft spins. When shaft stops spinning the extra wheel on shaft will block the sensor causing the laser to stop firing. When the shaft starts to rotate it fires the laser until shaft stops, causing the laser to stop firing as it blocks the sensor.
I hope this is easier to understand.

tmp_20611-111566897546936924905.png

tmp_20611-111116249987421263540651.png

Hi,
Ops pics.

tmp_20611-111566897546936924905.pngtmp_20611-111116249987421263540651.png
Tom.... :slight_smile:

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Can you post a link to specs/data of the sensors please?

Thanks... Tom.. :slight_smile:

Ok, with the pictures, your text makes a lot more sense. The “sensors” are IR beam break sensors.

Be aware in your redesign, you get only ONE chance to overheat the laser.

Paul

Hi

Coding wise I can code. Just electronics and arduino I've got no clue as not worked with it before

Thanks

So the laser kit has the laser with a cnc shield attached. Now I have had a look at the sensors and I have found these ones.

Now the plan of action in guessing is it goes like this please connect me if I'm wrong. Connect laser and shield to breadboard, connect 2 sensors to breadboard too and then the breadboard connect it to the arduino?

Now after having looked further into this situation do I rewuire a resistor for the laser module?

Any guidance would be kindly appreciated

Thanks

Bump. thanks

Until you are willing to actually do something and report the results, there is not much anyone can help with.

Paul

shazz400:
To give you a better understanding here are some pics.

Even with the pictures I can't figure out what you are trying to achieve. What is the point of taking the laser off the machine? What will the modified machine actually do?

Please post a diagram showing the modified machine and explain what it is intended to do

...R

Are you trying to bypass the controller board or something?

I'm still not understanding what this IR bream breaker stuff is for? or what its intended use is?

Breadboard? For laser? I would think no. High wattage laser tubes normally.. *(not usually best combined with a breadboards)...

I'm with @Robin2 here.. I'm not sure/clear what it is you are trying to achieve..

hi everyone

right im going to make this clear as possible to understand.im trying to use an eleksmaker laser engraver and attach it to the side of my emboidry machin.

with the eleksmaker laser it users motors to guide the laser. now as my machine has a frame under the head the frame moves by its self as the head of the machine is in one position. the head only moves left or right depending on the needle it is on.

now what i would like to do is attach the laser module from the eleksmaker to the side of the machine head and basically mimic an extra needle even though it is a laser.

now the purpose of this is if the laser module is aligned correctly with my software for emboidry i will be able to cut out applique patches etc to 0.02 mm.

now the sensors on the long bar in the pictures attached above, that long bar is there so when a needle is sewing into the garment it is spinning. when the bar stops spinning the needle goes up into the head and stops sewing.

the second sensor behind the head is attached behind needle 15.

now the purpose of the sensors are there for 2 things. sensor behind needle 15 will activate the laser but it will not fire. the sensor on the long bar that will be responsible for firing. so if the bar is spinning it will fire the laser. if the bar stops and that sensor is blocked it will stop the laser from firing.

so basically when i want to use the laser i will have to select needle 15 on the machine to activate first laser and when the bar behind the machine starts spinning it will fire the laser alas if it stops spinning the laser will stop firing.

now having looked further into this, what if instead i could directly attach it to the board of the laser as from what i have been told it uses a arduino board anyway

thanks

shazz400:
now having looked further into this, what if instead i could directly attach it to the board of the laser as from what i have been told it uses a arduino board anyway

It was understandable until I got to this paragraph - which I can't make any sense of.

so if the bar is spinning it will fire the laser. if the bar stops and that sensor is blocked it will stop the laser from firing.

What should happen if the bar stops and the sensor is NOT blocked?

Checking when something stops or starts turning is not simple. When your bar is turning there should be a stream of pulses from the sensor. You could check the time between pulses and if it is less than some value you would know that the bar is turning - though it might be wise to check for several pulses in succession. And that means that it would be difficult to get the laser to fire immediately the bar starts turning, and maybe it would stop firing either before or after the bar starts turning - depending on your test for "stop".

It would be better if you can get a signal from the machine's control system. What causes that bar to turn? Does it have its own electric motor and could you detect the current or voltage supplied to the motor? Maybe there is a mechanical lock on the bar that is released when the bar is to move and you could detect the operation of the lock?

...R