Need help and some clarifications on USB support.

Dear Friends,

I successfully tried an Arduino sketch on one of my ATMega32's. My sincere thanks to CrossRoads for his support and guidance to do this. Now i have a standalone Arduino ready to accept the sketches but still I need a programmer to upload the sketches.

Greedily, I wish to ask for something but before that I have a clarification to make. I have an Arduino UNO with me and never knew that there is a programmer inbuilt with USB serial communication abilities which in turn communicates with the arduino supported chip.

Now the clarification i need is, if i make a USBASP device and then in the same circuit have another microcontroller which will carry and execute my arduino sketches will be possible? or am i looking at it in a lazy easy way but things are different in reality?

Correct me if i am wrong on the logical flow of a typical Arduino board.

MCU(with arduino support) -> USB programmer -> PC

Hence I believe a typical arduino board has two components in it. 1 - MCU supporting the digital and analog pins and 2- A programmer to interface with PC.

Now the greedy thing i was about to ask for. How do i add usb support to my standalone arduino to take advantage of Serial printing? Kindly please guide me through this. The above clarifications might seem very very basic to you experts because I just a software programmer and very very basic to microcontrollers having only interest and thirst to learn.

Regards,

Ashok Srinivasan

No you don't have a programmer on an arduino. You have a boot loader, that is code inside the processor. This talks to the serial port of the PC to get the bytes of the code and then it programs the area of the memory that is not the boot loader with the bytes it receives.

Grumpy_Mike: No you don't have a programmer on an arduino. You have a boot loader, that is code inside the processor. This talks to the serial port of the PC to get the bytes of the code and then it programs the area of the memory that is not the boot loader with the bytes it receives.

Ohhhh. Thank you mike for clarifying this. The reason I got confused is because when i looked at the arduino board through my lens there were two attiny controllers and I got confused with my revelation. But would you care to tell me how I burn the bootloader to my own microcontroller with the following constraints?

1 - Using USBAsp 2 - And add USB connector support

The former one is fine as I saw enough tutorials to burn the bootloader on an arduino or running an arduino on the breadboard etc., But I could not find a tutorial that teaches to add the usb connector support to the self made boards rather suggest adding external usb peripherals that needs to bought outside which again is a nightmare to me thinking about where i live.

Regards,

Ashok Srinivasan.

2 - And add USB connector support

Normally the easiest way is to use a USB to serial chip, However those are tricky to solder so it is normal to add a USB to TTL serial board or module. You can get them in the Store, link at top of the screen, or from lots of other vendors. You face a problem if you want to program up a processor to do this because again they are in a package that is difficult to prototype with. Alternative you can use a processor like the Leonardo and copy that code into it.