Need help building a project

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this, but I've been having little luck finding what I need.

I have a project that I wish to get off the ground, that involves creating a 10x10 button/switch grid, in which the Arduino device can report on what switches are on and off.

I'm looking ideally for someone in the UK that I can get to build the unit for me (and am happy to pay for time / costs / parts) and can provide more information on the project via PM. Sounds strange that I don't want to provide more information I know, but I'm a magician working on an effect where these electronics are needed, so some secrecy is needed :)

Thanks,

Dan

There are lots of examples of 10x10 button grids out there; add diodes to all switches and with 20 pins (so you probably want a Mega - or use three shift registers to bring down the Arduino pins to 3) you can tell exactly which buttons are pressed and which not.

Very straightforward to build, just a lot of work.

danives: I have a project that I wish to get off the ground, that involves creating a 10x10 button/switch grid, in which the Arduino device can report on what switches are on and off.

Your best bet is to buy a commercial unit.

Failing that, one way is parallel-in serial-out shift registers, eg a 74HC165N. These are typically 8 bit, so if your effect can work with an 8*8 array rather than a 10*10 array, then the device would be simpler and more compact. If you need it small, then you may have to draw up a PCB, use surface-mount chips, that sort of thing.

And alternative method would be multiplexing. Come to think of it - that's probably the way to go. You're looking at a whole mess of diodes, though, either way.

A lot depends on how small you want this thing to be.

An alternative would be to use a touch-screen display. Plenty of those around, and there's libraries for them. But they don't provide tactile feedback the way a button does (if you are looking at manipulating a device hidden in your pocket).

danives: I have a project that I wish to get off the ground, that involves creating a 10x10 button/switch grid, in which the Arduino device can report on what switches are on and off.

It appears you want switches that are either 'push on - push off' or toggle switches, not momentary contact switches (like those on a keyboard). Is that correct? Henry Best, London, UK.