Need help choosing the right board and module and checking feasability

Hello. I am thinking about attempting to make an external Bluetooth volume knob that can control the system volume on my computer. I am pretty knowledgeable with coding languages such as Java, C, C++, etc and was hoping to use an arduino board with a Bluetooth module to connect to a program that’s running on my computer.

I have very little to no experience with hardware to software, and the most I have done with using the internet and programs was server/client programs both running in the same coding languages. I also have not looked into coding for the arduino. However, as I understand it now, I should be able to code say C++ and receive data from the arduino.

My goal is to connect a potentiometer to the arduino, and have the arduino act as a transducer for the computer. As I have said, I have no idea what board requirements I would need. I know I want to power the arduino with a battery, and I would need pins for the Bluetooth (power, ground, Rx, and Tx) if I go with the HC 06, a power button, and what ever I would need for the potentiometer.

So overall, my questions would be, could I use a potentiometer to give usable information to the arduino? Would I need a driver, or since it is technically just a variable resistor can the arduino just return the resistance/voltage?

Given that the overall idea is feasible, and I have a way to recognize the variable resistance or voltage, what would be the appropriate board and module?

As all DIY projects go, a lower cost is preferable and I would not need any functionality other than those that are necessary for this project.

Thank You!

Bonus Points if it can power an LED strip because RGB.

Yes you simply attach the pot to the Arduino, wiper to an analogue input one end to 5V and the other end to ground. Read it with an analogRead function and you get a number broom 0 to 1023 depending on how the pot is rotated.
Then send that number over Bluetooth.

You will need to write some code at the other end to do something with this number.

By the way to avoid flooding the Bluetooth system with data, only send the number when it has changed by two or more since you last sent it.

Grumpy_Mike:
Yes you simply attach the pot to the Arduino, wiper to an analogue input one end to 5V and the other end to ground. Read it with an analogRead function and you get a number broom 0 to 1023 depending on how the pot is rotated.
Then send that number over Bluetooth.

You will need to write some code at the other end to do something with this number.

By the way to avoid flooding the Bluetooth system with data, only send the number when it has changed by two or more since you last sent it.

Great, thank you! Do you have a suggestion for a board for this project?

Nothing special any Arduino can handle this. Therefore I would use a Uno.