Need help finding right hardware (arducopter)

Hi,

First, I haven’t worked anything with Arduino before, so I have very little knowledge about hardware etc, and I don’t know much about electronics (soldering etc). What I know is programming :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, I’m looking to make a quadcopter using Arduino that I can use in my master thesis in computer science. So I have no interest in doing all the programming to get it flying etc. So I was thinking about just using the Arducopter framework and build on from that (if anyone knows of a better alternative of a open source project, let me know :stuck_out_tongue: ). As far as I have seen from the project, it has a lot of what I want, such as a fairly nice mission planer, partly autonomous behavior etc.

So, as I said in the start, I have little knowledge about what hardware that exists, what hardware that works together and so on. So, I need help finding components that I want/need :slight_smile:

I have found this kit that seems nice (description of product is in english).

What I want is:

• Gyro
  • GPS
  • Local storage (SDcard I guess)
  • Video camera
  • IR camera (preferably video)
  • WiFi (want to control using PC. Don’t need to control it as a “normal” RC car/plane/whatever)
  • Battery
  • Distance sensor/sonar
  • Anything else that might be needed

As I understand it, the kit comes with a device to find the direction (magnetometer).

For network I want something with good range, so I figure this might do it?.

It’d also be nice to be able to differentiate between objects and the ground, as I want it to work in forested areas.

What I want is:
Gyro
GPS
Local storage (SDcard I guess)
Video camera
IR camera (preferably video)
WiFi (want to control using PC. Don’t need to control it as a “normal” RC car/plane/whatever)
Battery
Distance sensor/sonar

The kit says that it comes with GPS and gyros.
What do you plan to store on the SD card?
What are the cameras for?
What WiFi unit do you plan on using? What range does it off/do you expect?

It’d also be nice to be able to differentiate between objects and the ground, as I want it to work in forested areas.

You will be able to. The Arduino won’t. It can’t do image capture/recognition. Not near enough memory or speed.

PaulS: What do you plan to store on the SD card?

Store images, primarily. For UAVs to be a viable theme for me to work on in my thesis, I can't expect it to always have a connection with a computer or something to send the information to. Not sure what information I will make it gather, but I expect it to be primarily images, but possibly also coordinates (position + altitude).

What are the cameras for?

Primarily gathering information in some way, that will be processes by a computer.

What WiFi unit do you plan on using? What range does it off/do you expect?

I plan on using XBee Pro 900 maybe. I have never worked with this stuff before, so I basically don't know nothing about what alternatives are good. Basically, the longer range the better, but I think 10km is a good start. Don't think I'll have too much use of any longer.

What do you want this UAV to accomplish? Given that information we could give you ideas of what kind of sensing capabilities it will need.

but I think 10km is a good start. Don’t think I’ll have too much use of any longer.

Good luck meeting that requirement.

Lefty

I hope you know this, but xbee and wifi are very different. And even with the xbee 900 I really wouldn't count on that large a range. Also take into account that your uav will be at a higher elevation than you,so the range is not just across the ground but from air to ground as well, giving you less range thAn if it were on the ground.

For pictures, if you want any quality at a even remotely reasonable rate, do not use the arduino where it is not needed. Use a camera with chdk or the likes to take pictures at an interval, and log data to a separate sd card, connected to the computer.

When you say ir camera, are you referring to FLIR, ir distance sensing, or cameras without ir blocking? is the ultrasonic sensor for detecting other in air objects? Keep in mind their range limitations. You really need to describe better what you want to do.