Need help finding this 5 pin USB connector

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me locate this type of connector. I need the part so I can make my own cable.

Thank you,
Adrian

That doesn't look like a USB connector, just a common 0.1" Molex with locking ramp and polarizing ribs, eg,

Although it may be 2mm spacing.

Look at these:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2124584_-1

Yeah, sorry, the other end is USB. Yes, the space between each pin is 2mm.

I'm going through their site now that you've helped narrow my search, but so far I haven't had any luck there.

The other end is USB, but these are just plain old header connectors, of which there are probably 2,000,000
different varieties, all in all. Nothing too unusual.

oric_dan(333):
The other end is USB, but these are just plain old header connectors, of which there are probably 2,000,000
different varieties, all in all. Nothing too unusual.

yeah I’m seeing that now. I’ll continue combing through the various part catalogs and images tomorrow.

Thanks,
Adrian

Are they 2.54mm?

LarryD:
Are they 2.54mm?

What measurement would that be for? (I'm very new to this)

You already answered that question.

BTW... The pins used are TINY and do require a proper crimper as the housing has no spare room. Neatness is a must and prepare to ruin a few before you figure out what works for you...

Bob

oric_dan(333):
You already answered that question.

Ah ok, I thought I had answered it wrong.

Adrian

I believe I found your connector, JST XH series. Turns out the Sharp IR Rangers that
I have use a 3-pin version, and it looks just like your picture but with fewer pins.

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/batteries/connector-adaptor-5-pin-female-jst-xh-connector

Just to second Bob's comment above, crimping these things can be a bugger. I spent some time trying with standard pliers because the proper crimping tools are usually several hundred pounds. It's an exercise in frustration :0

However I found a generic crimping tool on eBay for about £40 that does a fairly good job. If you search for "micro crimping tool" you should find one. This looks fairly similar to the one I got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/universal-mini-micro-crimping-tool-molex-kk-zh-jst-xh-sl-amp-crimp-pliers-PA-09-/251187045924?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingTools_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a7bea2624

I've no idea about that seller, I'm not recommending for or against but it's just the first one I found that looked similar.

Tommy

The good thing is, many vendors who sell JST connectors nowadays sell them with
wires already crimped to the teensy pins. You just have to keep hunting. For 3-pin
JSTs at least, adafruit, acroname, and pololu sell the pre-crimped ones. I'm pretty
sure Acroname was using the $300 professional crimping tools when I was in Boulder.

Another possibility - on my Sharp IR Ranger, the cable wire broke, so I removed the
JST male with the pliers, and just soldered the wires to the sensor. Those tiny
connectors are really a big PITN.