Need help Identifying and replacing IC component

Hi everyone,

I am new to programming in general but am very interested and want to start here.

I am currently working on a personal project not directly related to programming/arduinos however I feel this if the best place to ask a somewhat general question. Also i feel that this IC i am trying to identify is the same on the Arduino UNO right next to the USB port.

So far I know it is 32 pins an 5mmx5mm and is made by NXP.

I am trying to make my Key FOB from my previous car used in my new car. The cars are the same year model make and so on it is just not registered to this new car. I have read a lot of places that the only piece needing "replacement" or swapping is the circled in the attached picture.

So what i would like to know is can someone identify what this IC is, what it does (i.e. processor or memory) and where i can buy one?

And for bonus points can you let me know if a new off the shelf IC swap may work without previous "programming" or setting up.

Cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7ue5junm0xuxvw/IMG_3224.jpg?dl=0

Could be an LPC802 microcontroller, but that's not how they're supposed to be marked, according to the datasheet...

NukinFutz: I am trying to make my Key FOB from my previous car used in my new car. The cars are the same year model make and so on it is just not registered to this new car. I have read a lot of places that the only piece needing "replacement" or swapping is the circled in the attached picture.

Sounds completly dumb to me.

The suggestion is that you can take any old key fob, replace a 'magic' part, and you have a key that will open any car.

I am currently working on a personal project not directly related to programming/arduinos however I feel this if the best place to ask a somewhat general question.

So perhaps find a forum where hacking car key fobs (illegal ?) is openly discussed.

srnet

Thanks for jumping to conclusions and thinking it was illegal. Maybe next time know the whole story before assuming. But that’s just a little life advice.

And it’s not a “magic” part its the part that hold the digital registry to the individual car. I’m trying to replace it and re program it legally to my new car. But again thanks for jumping to conclusions. :D

Thanks WestFW I’ll give that a look maybe that’s the part!

Thanks for jumping to conclusions and thinking it was illegal. Maybe next time know the whole story before assuming. But that's just a little life advice.

Hold it right there.

He didn't accuse YOU of doing something illegal, he suggested finding a forum that would openly discuss how to hack car keys.

However, if we tell you how to do it, we are also telling people who do not have such an honest intent how to do it as well.

NukinFutz: Thanks for jumping to conclusions and thinking it was illegal.

I did not jump to conclusions, nor did suggest you were doing anything illegal.

To me 'illegal ?' is a question as in is it illegal ?

So putting asside your missunderstanding for a moment, is it legal to copy the code in a car key fob, when we can assume you dont own the copyright ?

Ahh sorry for the misunderstanding gents.

And I don't think it is illegal because all I would be doing essentially is wiping my old information off so that the new key car be programmed. I could by a "fresh" key from the manufacturer but it is about $300.

Take a look here.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331334

NukinFutz: I am currently working on a personal project not directly related to programming/ Arduinos however I feel this if the best place to ask a somewhat general question. Also I feel that this IC I am trying to identify is the same on the Arduino UNO right next to the USB port.

Because it is square and has pins on all four sides?

NukinFutz: So far I know it is 32 pins an 5mmx5mm and is made by NXP.

So, not made by Atmel/ Microchip, like the 16U2 on the UNO?

NukinFutz: I am trying to make my Key FOB from my previous car used in my new car. The cars are the same year model make and so on it is just not registered to this new car. I have read a lot of places that the only piece needing "replacement" or swapping is the circled in the attached picture.

|375x500 Whatever it is.

NukinFutz: And for bonus points can you let me know if a new off the shelf IC swap may work without previous "programming" or setting up.

No idea. But there would be no reason to replace the IC unless it is faulty. That's not how you learn new keys.

In older cars, there would be a button in order for the controller to "learn" a new key, or to forget all the previous ones. Presumably one or both of the buttons in your photo.

Apparently on newer cars via the CANbus, this is done by diddling secret codes into the various controls.