Need help on muti Xbee --> Xbee --> Flash

Hi i want to make a pair of gloves with sensor and xbee inside to connect to a flash thing that I am trying to do.

2 Xbees S2 (gloves) → Xbee (Computer) → Flash.

I am a new user to xbee and coolTerm.
I am a Mac user. I have been trying to use CoolTerm to make my Xbee on a arduino Fio talk to my xbee on the computer.

I have set up the
ATID to be 1996
ATDH 13A200
ATDL (the other one’s atdl #)

This is the code I have on my FIO

#define ledPin 13
byte pinState = 0;
void setup() {
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop() {
Serial.println(“testing…”);
// toggle an LED just so you see the thing’s alive. toggle(13);
delay(1000);
}

However, I am not getting the “testing…” in CoolTerm.

I am not sure how do i get the msg that the Fio sends back to how do i make it so that Flash knows how to read the msg.

THank you

Before you worry about the code on the Arduino, you need to make sure that the XBees are talking to each other. In my opinion, Series 2 for point to point are the wrong XBees.

Jack Christensen is, on the other hand, a big proponent of using Series 2 for any kind of XBee work. Hopefully, he'll be along to confirm that the configuration is correct.

So did i get the wrong kind of Xbee for this project

I found something like this on the internet but i am not sure if this helps yet.
http://www.kobakant.at/DIY/?p=565

so what kind of xbee do i need for this kind of project?

Thanks

Took a quick look at that link, they don't specify a particular type of XBee, but I don't see any reason S2s should not work. Your configuration sounds correct. Can you talk to the one XBee with CoolTerm, i.e. get into command mode, etc.? Do you have ASC and RSSI LEDs? If so what are they doing. Every S2 network needs exactly one module configured as the coordinator. Not sure what firmware is shipped in the modules these days (probably Router AT) but I suspect one module will need the coordinator (AT) firmware loaded. Get the X-CTU program from Digi's web site to do that if you don't already have it.

Hi Jack
I can get into command mode with the xbees.
I am very new to xbees i am not sure what "module configured" is. Also, i am using a mac, all the tutorial i find on the internet about the X-CTU are for PCs. also the dig's website, I can't find one that supports OSX.
I am a little confused now.
Do i need to use a windows to work this out?

Thank you

kelvinw88:
Hi Jack
I can get into command mode with the xbees.
I am very new to xbees i am not sure what "module configured" is. Also, i am using a mac, all the tutorial i find on the internet about the X-CTU are for PCs. also the dig's website, I can't find one that supports OSX.
I am a little confused now.
Do i need to use a windows to work this out?

Thank you

X-CTU has the ability to update the firmware in the XBee modules. By selecting the appropriate firmware, S2 modules can be configured as one of three device types: coordinator, router, or end device. I'd suggest starting with a coordinator (exactly one is required for each S2 network) and a router. End devices are a bit trickier, they can sleep to reduce power consumption. Unfortunately, X-CTU does only run on Windows, not sure why they don't address that.

Further, S2 modules can run in one of two modes, AT (transparent) or API mode. AT mode just basically passes data between two modules, what goes in one comes out the other, and vice versa. Sounds like this is what you want. API mode is more complicated, defining a strict protocol and packet formats that are used to communicate with the XBee. So actually there are six types of firmware that can be uploaded to a module, coordinator, router, and end device, for AT mode or for API mode. Hope this helps, also check the product manual for all the details.

Thank for your reply

Jack

So does it mean that I do not have to worry about X CTU if i am using a Mac?
but how do i set the xbee to coordinator if I dont have windows

kelvinw88:
So does it mean that I do not have to worry about X CTU if i am using a Mac?
but how do i set the xbee to coordinator if I dont have windows

You will always want to be able to change or upgrade a module's firmware, X-CTU is needed for that, so if you don't have a Windoze machine then that's a problem. Maybe you can borrow a friend's machine, or I'm aware there is software that lets Windows programs run on the Mac OS but I know nothing about it or any limitations it may have.

I'm using a mac for development too, and I ended up installing windows in a virtual machine on the mac and running xctu from there.

I'm using vmware fusion for the VM, but you could run VirtualBox which is free and has great performance. Install an old copy of XP.

I imagine you're also out of luck with XBees if you run Linux. Digi doesn't seem to be working on a version of xctu for anything except windows. Maybe they could be encouraged to release the tool under an open source license and we could create ports. Multi-platform configuration support would benefit everyone.

If you don't have a windows install DVD handy, you might be able to get xctu running on OS X using wine instead. macOS - WineHQ Wiki - wine is a project allowing win32 executables to run on other operating systems.

Cool thank you guys
I think i made a small step on connecting them.
I now have 2 xbee on fio talking to each other.
But i cannot figure out how to send data from fio to computer.

I tried using C CTU and CoolTerm.
they don't seem to be receiving any data from the xbee.
its there is some special code that i have to write other than
Serial.println?

Thank you

The XBee connects to the Fio via the hardware serial port (pins 0 and 1). This means that you can't use the hardware interface to talk to a PC at the same time.

What is the purpose of the PC serial connection? Is it just for debug and sketch development? If so you could get an Uno and a XBee shield with software serial support so you can communicate with the XBee via software serial and use the hardware serial interface to communicate with the PC. Then when your sketch is ready move the XBee back to the Fio.

So what was the small step you made? Did you load the coordinator firmware on one of them?

This means that you can't use the hardware interface to talk to a PC at the same time.

Actually, you can, but whatever you send that is meant for the PC will also be broadcast. With care, debug messages can be distinguished, by the other XBees, from important data. The key is to mark debug messages so that the other XBees can ignore them. Whatever marker you use will appear in the serial monitor, so something like DEBUG: makes sense.

Thank you guys
I got both of my Xbee communicating to my computer now

Great! Share whatever it was you did, might help other folks...