Need help on which board to buy

Hey guys. I'm new here and I'm in need of some help on a rather small project I want to undertake.

I'm looking to buy the zero board and 10 pins to hook it up to Hitbox arcade fight stick to perform asynchronous left to right movements eliminating the neutral input programed into the pcb board.

The arduino board will help making inputs override commands that would make left + right = left. With the arduino board the board will make it perform only on the last command only. Left + right would = right on last command.

So my question would be would the zero be overkill for such a simple task or would the regular board be enough.

Also if anyone has attempted this before any advice or direction would also be appreciated. :slight_smile:

IMO the smallest Arduino will be sufficient. For development an UNO or Mega is a good choice, for final products a Pro Mini is cheaper and smaller.

DrDiettrich:
IMO the smallest Arduino will be sufficient. For development an UNO or Mega is a good choice, for final products a Pro Mini is cheaper and smaller.

Just a question: apart from running at 16 MHz, where a Pro Mini will embed a crystal for you, what do people consider the advantage of a Pro Mini over 28-pin DIP atmeg328p in a PCB socket? The embedded power regulation circuitry?

The Pro Mini board is available already, that's a big pro for some users. Some versions can work at both 3.3V and 5V. The SMD packages are lower and also (can) have more than 28 pins, to also expose e.g. A6 and A7.

If you get a USB/AVR-duino like the Micro here on the Arduino site then writing HID becomes Easy and your serial speed hits USB 1.1.

Notice the Micro has pins perfect for inserting into breadboards or pushing female DuPont cable ends onto.

It's 40 wires, not 40 cables. That's $1.25 for one 20 cm (8 in) 40-wire cable, pretty cheap! Get 2!
You peel off as many wires as you need to make a cable (serial uses 3 minimum) then split off ends as needed to reach all pins. The result is never perfect but far cleaner than a rat nest of jumpers.

Those USB/AVR chips are all surface mount, not the simple DIP (Dual Inline Pins) that can plug into a breadboard.

For a control stick you can get excellent results pretty quickly with any USB/AVR or USB/ARM board.

When I learned it was on a Teensy 2.0, the Leonardo hadn't been made yet, PJRC has tutorials and made a lot of code public so I lean toward them for making it easy and having good prices.

You can use almost any Arduino to program most AVR chips made, from 8 pin ATtiny45 on up to the 40-pin "Mighty 1284". If your design grows, there might be a bigger AVR to migrate to, the code will be the same but the pins may change and almost like magic your project will have more space.

If all you want is moar pinz then learn about daisy-chaining shift registers on SPI bus, people run 100's of leds to make displays with Uno's and show it on Youtube. The wild ones spin around to make POV displays.

If you want storage then look into SD modules, you can buy them cheap or make your own cheaper.

The UNO with the DIP chip in the socket is designed to develop a program on the chip. You then pry the chip out and put it in your end product, pull another bootloaded 328P from your stock and work on the next thing. The board is a dev board, not an end product component. That should be smaller just to start. Much smaller, like a Micro.

DrDiettrich:
The Pro Mini board is available already, that’s a big pro for some users. Some versions can work at both 3.3V and 5V. The SMD packages are lower and also (can) have more than 28 pins, to also expose e.g. A6 and A7.

I liked the Nano for having a USB port enough to pay $6 for one. But I used that and some power supplies to pad a chip order out enough to justify the shipping charge.

Thank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it and I hope I could still get more help on this project. I was wondering where would I download the firmware to program the board to do what I would want it to do.

Would I have to write my own code or is there a site or forum that may have a list of codes so I can find the right one to do asynchronous socd left to right with no neutral.

I'm having a hard time finding these codes.

Also if it helps this is no ordinary stick. It's called a hitbox arcade stickless stick for xbox one. I'm also going to mod it for PC use as well.

Thanks so much.

You could look around the web for Arduino stickless stick, check Youtube.

You can get 3 axis accelerometers and compasses to make hand tracking, maybe it's already done. If it is, the code may not be available. Make your own and you have the code.