Need Help Powering a WS2812B 144 Led Strip

I'm currently trying to replicate a 'Pixel Stick' for photography. I am unsure of how I can power the strip using a 7.4v 2000mAh lipo battery. The led strip runs at 5v, and needs around 8-10A. How can I get this from the lipo battery, as I can't have the stick plugged into a wall socket?

Very tricky because you need to reduce that voltage down to 5V and a 10A regulator is quite expensive.
I would split the strip's power supply into lengths that do not exceed the current rating of a reasonable priced switching Buck converter and then run several of those converters from the same battery. Remember the grounds to all the regulators and strip's must be common.

5 or 6v output, 5 amps. Cheap enough to get 2 as grumpy_mike suggests.

Grumpy_Mike:
Very tricky because you need to reduce that voltage down to 5V and a 10A regulator is quite expensive.
I would split the strip's power supply into lengths that do not exceed the current rating of a reasonable priced switching Buck converter and then run several of those converters from the same battery. Remember the grounds to all the regulators and strip's must be common.

Brilliant! Thank you very much! I'll power the strip from both end using the 5A to split it. Also, can I just split the power from one 5A converter? Like do a Y connecting to each end?

vinceherman:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5a-8-26v-sbec-for-lipo.html?___store=en_us

5 or 6v output, 5 amps. Cheap enough to get 2 as grumpy_mike suggests.

Also, is this the same one you were linking me to? http://www.ebay.com/itm/171396934423 How long does the shipping take from the hobby king site?

Also, can I just split the power from one 5A converter? Like do a Y connecting to each end?

Yes

I'll power the strip from both end using the 5A to split it.

Not sure you got the point that you will have to break the 5V line of the strip at the half way point if powering from both ends.

Grumpy_Mike:
Not sure you got the point that you will have to break the 5V line of the strip at the half way point if powering from both ends.

Oh ok, so I can power it from both ends if I snip it down the middle, but connect the DIN line in between the strips?

You need to have the ground connected as well as the data signal. Just cut the 5V line with a sharp scalp and lift the track at this point.