Need help programming

I'm a newbie to programming but pretty old to everything else.

Not sure I can do this in any reasonable time period given the learning curve of C++ though I plan to play with the coding aspect of Arduino over time.

But I have an immediate need for someone willing to write some code for me for a project.

**CODE: I need to open and close a gate! **

I found code here for double gate but I have only a single gate. I found a restore able Mighty Mule gate operator at a scrap yard for $5. Control board broken but with some slight effort now have a good actuator running. I'd like to be able to use this without having to spend months learning to write code first. I can play with learning in spare time for future projects.

I know I can make a totally relay operated control for this...like the old days, (I am 69 and used to install gates along with my security company many moons ago.) but think Arduino would make it simpler and add features hard to achieve with pure relay and hard wiring. Also able to use much smaller wire for sensing as opposed to a relay only system.

Details:

• Swing Gate
  • Limit switch at each position, full open and full close
  • Limit switch on gate for collision detection.
  • Four channel radio control ( may use extra to turn on flood lights etc or as extra button step for security on open )
  • Press A to open, B to close, any button while in motion for emergency stop.

(Later may like to add current sensor but that may cause problems as gate has wheel on ground and any small obstruction could cause gate to stop rather than power over the rock, twig, stray lizard or small child.LOL [no kids anywhere in sight actually] )

Can someone help me with this please?

You can make an attempt and we can help you get it right, but you have to do most of the work and that is going to involve learning at least the basics of writing code.

If you just want someone to write it for you, we have a Gigs and Collaborations section on the forum where you can offer to pay someone to write code for you.

Thanks for quick response. I will consider looking at the gigs section.

I want to teach myself but I want my gate to work faster than I think I will be proficient in a new language.

I will play around some with code for a few days because I am still waiting on parts, relays etc. for the power handling portion of this project. I have Uno and software already.

So far the only experience I have with Arduino used pre-written code for a CNC mill and a 3D printer which I built from kits. I learned NOTHING about code.

Many many years ago when I first got into computers ( pre-PC ) I had a Timex computer (Z-80 CPU 16K RAM) that saved data on cassete tape and use TV as monitor. I got fairly good with simple BASIC but think even that leaked out of my brain over the years.

Again...thanks for quick reply.

I just posted in the GIG section for some assistance. Thanks much!

i have a problem with my programming. Whenever i connect a wireless module with a GPS module, there is an error when i try to compile the codes.
this is the error:
"
Error compiling.
In file included from wirelesssx_1272.ino:1:0:
C:\Users\LENOVO\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SX1272/SX1272.h:41:17: fatal error: SPI.h: No such file or directory
#include <SPI.h>
^
compilation terminated.
Error compiling.
"
how can i fix this error? anyone please help me.thanks =)

@missteera :is your post in any way related to the thread from PaulKruger, which is about a gate opener ???
My gut feeling is that it totally not related.

If my assumption is correct, would you mind starting a brand new post ???
Otherwise, I hope you understand that it is simply not desirable to handle two issues on the same thread ?

Also, if you wish to get assistance from the forum community, please post your code (not just snippets) using the code tags, as indicated in the two sticky posts on top of the board.

Many thanks in advance,

• dan

Same issue…I did open new thread in the Gigs section however.

missteera:
i have a problem with my programming. Whenever i connect a wireless module with a GPS module, there is an error when i try to compile the codes.
this is the error:
"
Error compiling.
In file included from wirelesssx_1272.ino:1:0:
C:\Users\LENOVO\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SX1272/SX1272.h:41:17: fatal error: SPI.h: No such file or directory
#include <SPI.h>
^
compilation terminated.
Error compiling.
"
how can i fix this error? anyone please help me.thanks =)

the error says everything you need to know.

in the file path it listed it expected to find a library spi.h the reason it is looking for the library is because the program said #include <SPI.h>

if you do not have the library you will have to download and copy it unzipped to the libary folder.

PaulKruger:
Many many years ago when I first got into computers ( pre-PC ) I had a Timex computer (Z-80 CPU 16K RAM) that saved data on cassete tape and use TV as monitor. I got fairly good with simple BASIC but think even that leaked out of my brain over the years.

Paul,
I too started on the same machine in 1984, only here it was called the Sinclair Spectrum, with the “dead man’s fingers” (cold rubber) keyboard.
Once you can program (in any language), transferring to another language is fairly easy. All you have to learn is the new syntax, and in C/C++ that’s not too difficult. Take a look at some of the example programs in the IDE or on the examples page of this site. I’m sure that the idea will sink in very quickly and you’ll remember all your BASIC programming skills. Probably the easiest program to start with is the ‘blink’ sketch, as you will see that it’s working immediately, without any additional components. It’s the Arduino equivalent of “Hello World”. Later, many of us will tell you to forget that particular sketch, but it is a useful learning tool for the language.

Been working on the project this weekend. Today (Monday) the RF receiver arrived in the mail.

This is what has been done so far. Pretty much just built a weather proof control box to house components and battery.

Color red to match my red house!