Need help, Quickly! 64x16 LED Matrix code

Hello, I need to know where in this code to scroll text. I can display "On Air" but can't scroll. How do I change to scrolling text? I'm a noob when it comes to coding.

16x64_led_matrix.ino (17.9 KB)

Look at the last lines of your code, they are commented out, so they are not executed.

//move the text 8 pixels to the left
     for (byte i=0; i<4; i++) {
     delay(80);
     moveLeft(2,1,32);
     };

This moves the text which is positioned between columns 1 and 32 to the left, four times 2 pixels each time.

Is it what you're looking for?

Ok, when I uncomment that section of code I get the scrolling function, but it's just scrolling 0's over and over. How do I fix this?

My 64x16 Led matrix scrolls 0's endlessly. I want to change it to text this is the attached code. Whats wrong?

16x64_led_matrix.ino (17.9 KB)

@XxSolidusxX, do not cross-post. Threads merged.

First, does it display the text "ON AIR"?

What happens if you remove the multi line comment /* and */ at the end of the code?

Also you can try to change moveLeft(2,1,32); to moveLeft(2,1,64) ; but I'd like to know the answer of the previous questions.

with the comments in place at the end of the code it displays the words "On Air". The text is inverted though, for example leds for the letters are not lit and the surrounding leds are lit. I can post a picture if possible. At the end of the code if I remove /* to uncomment it, it enables scrolling, but it just scrolls zeros endlessly :confused: . So my two questions are this: How do I get the text inverted? and how do I change the scrolling 0's to text?
Also this is the link to the original project designer with a short explanation of the project and original code: 64x16 Dot Matrix LED Display - NURDspace
Here are the images I took of my led matrix with comment and uncomment in code.
When I enable the scroll feature it looks like the zeros begin with a B then followed by infinite zeros.
Edit: sorry it looks like it won't let me upload the two pictures of the display in both modes. File sizes are too large. oh also with the default program the zeros scroll across the entire matrix from beginning to end.

These are the instructions to display the text 'ON AIR'.

drawChar(0, 0, char(' '), 0, false);
   drawChar(8, 0, char('O'), 0, false);
   drawChar(16, 0, char('N'), 0, false);
   drawChar(24, 0, char(' '), 0, false);
   drawChar(32, 0, char('A'), 0, false);
   drawChar(40, 0, char('I'), 0, false);
   drawChar(48, 0, char('R'), 0, false);
   drawChar(56, 0, char(' '), 0, false);

Simply replace "false" by "true" to have them not inverted.

Images larger than (check) 2MB are not allowed on this forum, try reducing the size.

Can you change the text in those lines and see what is displayed while it scrolls? Try for example 12345678

Can you change in the line
moveLeft(2,1,32);for example 1,32 to 1,16 or 16,32 ?

I played around with the code a little bit. Changing the false statements to true for the text "ON AIR" fixed the inverted lighting. Here is the fixed code:

//nox-custom: draw " ON AIR "
   drawChar(0, 0, char(' '), 0, true);
   drawChar(8, 0, char('O'), 0, true);
   drawChar(16, 0, char('N'), 0, true);
   drawChar(24, 0, char(' '), 0, true);
   drawChar(32, 0, char('A'), 0, true);
   drawChar(40, 0, char('I'), 0, true);
   drawChar(48, 0, char('R'), 0, true);
   drawChar(56, 0, char(' '), 0, true);
   //end nox-custom

This fixes the inverted lighting for "ON AIR"

In the last part of the code for the scrolling I tried what you said to change from 1,32 to 1,16 and I also changed the false statement to a true statement to fix the inverted scrolling text. If I enter 16,32 I get a bunch of zeros. Also it scrolls the message where it says "insert message here" in the message part of the code. So the message scrolls this: "This is a test by NoxiousPluk". My issue I'm having now is on the farthest right side of the led matrix the LEDs flash from right to left in the six columns on the farthest right side. I would describe it as the farthest six columns of the right spanning 6x15; 6 columns and 15 rows. The 15 LEDS in the rows of the six columns start from farthest bottom of the matrix upward to the 15th row up. Again these particular LEDS turn on or "spawn light" from right to left followed by the text, "This is a test by NoxiousPluk". Sorry if this is confusing I'm trying to explain it the best I can without video of it. I feel like I'm making good progress now though. Getting closer to my goal. :slight_smile: This is the corrected code as of now, but still gets spawning error on farthest right hand side as described before.

//Insert message here ("message ")
     const char message[] = "This is a test by NoxiousPluK         ";
     static int count = 0;

//display next character of message
     drawChar(56,0,message[count%(sizeof(message)-1)],0,true);
     count = (count + 1);

//move the text 8 pixels to the left
     for (byte i=0; i<4; i++) {
     delay(80);
     moveLeft(2,1,16);
     };

};

XxSolidusxX:
My issue I'm having now is on the farthest right side of the led matrix the LEDs flash from right to left in the six columns on the farthest right side. I would describe it as the farthest six columns of the right spanning 6x15; 6 columns and 15 rows. The 15 LEDS in the rows of the six columns start from farthest bottom of the matrix upward to the 15th row up. Again these particular LEDS turn on or "spawn light" from right to left followed by the text, "This is a test by NoxiousPluk". Sorry if this is confusing I'm trying to explain it the best I can without video of it. I feel like I'm making good progress now though. Getting closer to my goal. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I'm afraid I didn't understand any of this as I'm not native english speaker... :confused:

Anyway, it's good to know that you have better results. Maybe some US/UK guys will be able to help you there. Otherwise try to explain this to me as if I was 10 years old ... :smiley:

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this?

Bump

With the code the way it is now, I got 6 columns and 15 rows spawning from the right side if that makes sense. Anyone who can help would be appreciated.