Need help running a stepper motor with arduino shield

Hi guys, I just got a stepper motor http://www.frys.com/product/7726708?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and this shield http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-L293D-Shield-Arduino-Duemilanove/dp/B00813HBBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414137142&sr=8-1&keywords=motor+shield

Can someone help me with connecting the wire? on the specs it says that Colors: 1: B1: pink 2: A1: orange 3: A2: yellow 4: B2: blue 5: GND: red 6: GND2 (for MOTS2): brown

so how does that relate to the ports on the shield? and would it run by just using the power from the USB cable? or do I need an external source of power?

Thanks

I think you will need to measure the resistance between all the different wires with a cheap digital multimeter. It is possible that the internal connections are like this (times 2)

----coil----------coil-----
       |           |            |
       |           |            |

GND

You will probably find that the wires for one coil (or pair of connected coils) have no connection with the wires for the other coil.

When you have measured the resistances let us know what they are.

...R

Thanks, i will do that asap. so is this a bipolar motor? and I dont need the Gnd and the gnd2?

also lets assume I got the connection right if I hook it up to the usb cable. would that provide enough power to run the motor? (the LED lit when i plugged in the usb)

The specs aren't clear what the GND connections are for - measure it and report back so others can benefit please? It may be a 4 5 or 6 wire motor for all I can tell from the curt specifications.

qpham26: Thanks, i will do that asap. so is this a bipolar motor? and I dont need the Gnd and the gnd2?

How will we know before you measure it?

also lets assume I got the connection right if I hook it up to the usb cable. would that provide enough power to run the motor? (the LED lit when i plugged in the usb)

Show us a schematic of the proposed connections. I think the link said it needs 60mA - that is far too much for an Arduino I/O pin, not to mention the risk of reverse voltage spikes.

...R