Need help salvaging projector from alarm clock

Hi!

Thanks in advance for your help. I came across this old alarm clock in a thrift store for $4. It has a projector to show the time on the wall or ceiling. I’d like to remove the projector and drive it through Arduino to display scrolling text, but I think I may be in over my head.

I’ve attached some pictures showing the assembled and disassembled alarm clock, the projected image, and a close-up of the PCB text next to the projector connector (labeled left-to-right: G, L+, L-, 1.5, M, H, T1).

Another piece of information I have is the alarm clock is run using Silan Semiconductors SC8560. See below for link to spec.

http://www.chinaeds.com/zl/Laoli\S\SILAN\SC\SC8560AY.pdf

I’m not sure what my next steps are. Can anyone advise? I’d like to know the following:

• What do the cryptic letters next to the connector mean? I’m assuming “G” is ground and “1.5” is 1.5V?
  • I’d like to project scrolling text. Is this even possible?
  • Can I power the projector through Arduino or will I need an outside power supply?
  • What additional circuitry would I need to accomplish item 2?
  • How do I tell the projector what text to display?

Thanks, I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I dig deeper. So you understand my experience level, I’ve completed projects 1 - 11 in the Arduino starter kit and have almost finished an autonomous, light-seeking RC car with ultra-sonic sensor to avoid head-on collisions (just trying to fine-tune the code).

Alarm Clock Pictures.pdf (753 KB)

Scrolling text? How you you propose to view that on a 3½ digit/ 7 segment alarm clock display?

OK, the display is pretty standard, but the projector is a different ball game. We would need to see the insides of the projector to know anything about it.

3 letters at a time, many are possible: A, b, c, C, d, E, F, g, h, H, i, I, j, J, L, n, o, O, P, S, T (sort of), u, U, Y and 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Thanks for the replies! See attached for teardown of the projector. I would have provided in my original post, but I’ve gotten myself in trouble before breaking things down too fast.

I noticed the projector PCB has an IC on it (markings near the IC say “AV-663-4”, but a google search didn’t reveal a datasheet). It also has two 104 capacitors, an LED, display and a cylindrical component which is foreign to me.

Any ideas how to drive the display?

Thanks!

Projector Teardown.pdf (1.17 MB)

ReadySetGo: Any ideas how to drive the display?

Not without a lot more information! A full circuit diagram of both parts at least.