need help selecting radar for 'forward collision warning system'

Hi there, my first post in the forum :slight_smile:

Please refer to this video

Some modern cars has FCW installed (forward collision warning system). I am looking to build similar system using radar/ultrasonic for a range of 1~10 meter range proximity detection. Something lightweight and low current consumption.

Please help!

raydream:
Hi there, my first post in the forum :slight_smile:

Please refer to this video
- YouTube

Some modern cars has FCW installed (forward collision warning system). I am looking to build similar system using radar/ultrasonic for a range of 1~10 meter range proximity detection. Something lightweight and low current consumption.

Please help!

Modern cars use radar in the 70 gigaherz region. Are you prepared to work with such equipment?

What possibilities have you looked at for your project?

Paul

No wasn't ready for 70 gigahertz.. I was looking at the cheap HC-SR04 or even retrofitting a microsoft kinect. May I know the name and spec of the ones used by cars and perhaps I can work towards there?

Have a look to "seed mini lidar" - 12 meters / 0.6 Watt

Forget about ultrasound - it doesn’t have the range

RudolfAtRTC:
Have a look to "seed mini lidar" - 12 meters / 0.6 Watt

thank you! seems like a perfect fit :slight_smile:

A newbie to lidar question… How is the lidar direction like? Is it a pin point like laser, a small area like infrared, or omni direction?

There is also the problem of using the Arduino in a safety related project - will you rely on it ?

Thanks for the concern, the idea is to build a proof of concept for pitching for following development, so at this stage it should be sufficient.