Need help selecting right size potentiometer for 12V audio amp/speaker

I built a bluetooth speaker. It had a little feedback noise (barely noticeable). I was clipping the wires and re-soldering to clean up the rats nest of wires when I dislodged a wire on the 10K dual linear audio pot. I tried tapping the pot back through the hole so I could re-solder the loose wire. In doing so, I broke the pot. All I had in the parts box was a 250k pot. Long story short... Now it has a lot of feedback noise. I could be wrong, but it seems to be linked to the left channel wire from the pot to the amp. But it makes loud noise when I touch the dial on the pot as well.

Better ground?
What would be the most appropriate pot for this project?

Another 10K pot.
Here's 20+ to pick from. Do you need linear, or audio taper?
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/potentiometers-variable-resistors/rotary-potentiometers-rheostats/263488?k=pot&k=&pkeyword=pot&pv1849=3&FV=1f140000%2Cfff40004%2Cfff80540%2C40070&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

CrossRoads.. Thank you so much for the quick reply.
I don't know the difference from linear/audio taper. (Googling right now)
I would say an Audio pot is what I'm looking for. A gradual increase in volume as I turn the knob.

I used a bluetooth audio receiver, PAM8610 15W audio amp, 8ohm 5W speakers.

Linear means the change in resistance between any 2 equidistant locations will be the same.
Audio is logarithmic, small change at one end and ending with large change at the other, the same way human ears hear the difference in sound.

I just received another Bluetooth audio receiver in the mail. Thanks for your help, I just ordered a 10K Logarithmic/Audio Pot.

Just out of curiosity, could I hook up a rotary encoder without a microprocessor? On this audio board there's connection that says Vol+, Vol-?

out of curiosity, could I hook up a rotary encoder without a microprocessor? On this audio board there's connection that says Vol+, Vol-?

Well if not a micro you would need a fist full of logic gates to turn the quadrature output into a step up or step down pulse.

LOL, Fair enough. No rotary encoder for this project.

One last question...

What difference would does it make?
Bluetooth audio receiver - audio pot - amp - speakers
Bluetooth audio receiver - amp - audio pot - speakers

Bluetooth audio receiver - audio pot - amp - speakers

Is right.

Bluetooth audio receiver - amp - audio pot - speakers

Is wrong because you are asking the pot to dissipate the energy you don't want. Depending on the construction of the pot this could well fry it.

Mike;

Thanks.

I found in my box of parts, small pots pulled from fatuba servos. This is temporary to play with till the dual gang audio pots arrive.

[edit] The servo pots worked but sound was crappy. The mailman brought presents today!
These just came in:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221900892066?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

AND

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171461299539?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When the 10K audio pots arrive, I can try the 20W amp again. I'm betting, I will have better sound quality.

I tried them with 3 different speakers. Was thinking of making a review style video. IDK