Need help selecting wifi shield for friend

I am going to get my friend a wifi shield for his birthday. I know nothing about electronics, but I have been trying to read up on the options over the past few days. I was hoping that someone could give me some guidance so I don't get something he can't use.

He has an Arduino Uno. He would like to create a project that makes web service calls out to a host on the Internet. The wireless shield must be able to connect to secured wireless networks. He would specifically like a shield rather than a board.

Any help would be very appreciated. I have seen the list of wifi hardware options on the Arduino site, but I don't have the knowledge to select which one will work well for what he is trying to do.

Thank you!

I have seen the list of wifi hardware options on the Arduino site

What list would that be? The Arduino team does not make/support a Wifi shield.

PaulS:

I was referring to this page:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/SimilarBoards#goShie

PaulS:

For now. :slight_smile:

I was referring to this page

As long as you note this part:

A comprehensive list of both official and unofficial Arduino shields

Now, there are some very good non-official shields, so the fact that the shield you get is not created by the Arduino team should not deter you.

For now.

I’d love to see an official WiFi shield.

PaulS:
I'd love to see an official WiFi shield.

Look here http://www.engadget.com/photos/arduino-at-maker-faire-new-york-2011/#4460993

Not sure about what chip they use.

It may be best to allow your friend decide on the component he wants and you cover the cost with a "gift certificate".

The only one I have seen is this one:

Its a pricy device because the wifi SiP (system in package) is pricy, about 45 dollars for just that part. This will do the things you listed, including connecting to encrypted networks.

Of course other wifi SiP chips exist, since as those made by H&D Wireless, but this is the only one I have seen built on to an Arduino shield.