Need Help to Drive 4 pieces 12v 4" Seven Segment Display with Arduino

Hi Folks,

I know this is an already discussed topic. I have read numerous threads on Arduino forum on how to lit up powerful large 7 segment displays with Arduino.

I want to create a Arduino clock with 4 pieces of large Common Cathode 7 segment displays. But I am really browsing across threads to find an ultimately working Circuit for the project. I know, I can make the multiplexing work with the Arduino Part. I just need help to design the circuit. I am clueless how 4 pieces 12v display can be driven from Arduino each of which consumes approx 100mA.

Most of the threads descriptively discusses the challenges and few components to overcome them for each segment of a single display. Evidently I am looking for something better than 32 transistors to drive the displays, if possible; and also using easily available components (I mean, a very specific driver IC is always hard to find, right? :slight_smile: ) Any help is highly appreciated.

Common cathode, so you need anode drivers.
Look at MIC2981 to source current. Drive from 4 daisy chained shift registers so you're not using up all your IO pins.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/MIC2981%2F82YN/576-1158-ND/771627

CrossRoads:
Common cathode, so you need anode drivers.
Look at MIC2981 to source current. Drive from 4 daisy chained shift registers so you're not using up all your IO pins.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/MIC2981%2F82YN/576-1158-ND/771627

Thanks for your reply and the Digikey link. Could you please give me a circuit diagram using 4 of them to drive 4 digits? Or atleast 2 digit driver?

sribasu:
I have read numerous threads on Arduino forum on how to lit up powerful large 7 segment displays with Arduino.

I want to create a Arduino clock with 4 pieces of large Common Cathode 7 segment displays.

Did you already buy the displays.
I think common anode is easier to drive, with less losses.

The MIC2981 that CrossRoads mentioned will drop almost 2volt.
Plus the losses in the current limiting resistors.
That could be a lot of wasted power (heat).

Sparkfun has 'big display' driver boards (common anode).

Leo..