Need help to make xmas star

Hello everyone,I am trying to make something like this.

But i want it in a 3232 single colour led matrix(DIY)board to display some texts below.From all the tutorials i learned some basics.For my need i decided to build with following
8 74HC595 shift registers or 8MAX7219
arduino board.
And many tutorialsfocus on 8
8 or 1616 matrix only.It is really hard to find 3232 matrix..Is it possible to make 32*32 matrix using the above given configuration or i have to use some other shift register(I heard 74HC595 gives only 20mA output current.) or configuration.So please help me.....

@jones143: your matrix should be possible using 16 * max7219, not 8.

I would not recommend using 74hc595 to build this matrix. It could be done using maybe 10 * 74hc595, plus 4 * uln2803, but the result would be inferior in brightness, code complexity and other aspects, compared to the max7219 design.

Thank 4 your suggestion and will the daisy chaining the max7219 work?

Yes, it will work gr8

Thanks for ur help mate.I am very new to electronics and i am in a learning curve.So please excuse for silly questions any…
I have someother doubts.
1.In MAX7219 datasheet i noticed there is a resister is placed in Iset to control a matrix.I am going to control a 3232 matrix with a 16 MAX7219 and 1 MAX7219 is going to control 88 matrix in that 3232.So In that 88 sometimes all the leds in a column and row should be on in any 88 matrix.If that is a case 20mA(5mm led’s average current rating)8=160mA output should be needed in a segment.For that how much valued resistor should i connect in Iset?
2.In some led matrix projects they used 1
0.1mF ceramic and 1
10mF electrolytic capacitor.But in datasheet they used only 1*0.1mF capacitor only.Is it necessary to use 2 capacitors??
3.How many of MAX7219 can be daisy chained without any problem(for building bigger matrix)?

max7219.jpg

jones143:
1.In MAX7219 datasheet i noticed there is a resistor is placed in Iset to control a matrix. I am going to control a 3232 matrix with a 16 MAX7219 and 1 MAX7219 is going to control 88 matrix in that 3232. So In that 88 sometimes all the LEDs in a column and row should be on in any 8*8 matrix. If that is a case 20mA (5mm LED's average current rating)*8=160mA output should be needed in a segment. For that how much valued resistor should i connect in Iset?

10k should be about right.

Yes, you will need a 3 Amp power supply.

jones143:
2.In some led matrix projects they used 10.1mF ceramic and 110mF electrolytic capacitor. But in datasheet they used only 1*0.1mF capacitor only. Is it necessary to use 2 capacitors??

Read page 10 of the datasheet - "Supply Bypassing and Wiring".

Most of the compact modules - the ones you want to use - omit the 10 µF. A good recommendation would be to attach a 47 or 100 µF capacitor each 4 modules along the chain.

The more basic modules do have the 10 µF capacitor.

jones143:
3.How many of MAX7219 can be daisy chained without any problem (for building bigger matrix)?

Data wise, 16 is probably do-able if they are all in one unit. If they get "glitchy", you may have to slow down the data transfer by using serialising code rather than using the hardware shiftOut. Power-wise you should parallel each row, preferably at both ends.

Thank you for continous support on this topic.
And I am not using ready made modules that you are mentioning about.I am trying to build my own like in the video i posted earlier.But going to wire the leds in 32*32 matrix fashion.

jones143:
going to wire the leds in 32*32 matrix fashion.

Don't forget to wire them as 16 separate groups of 8*8.

Yahh that is the thing i am very carefull of..
Regarding Capacitor You recommended 47uF or 100uF per four module(In my understanding i have to add 47uF or 100uF in four MAX7219combined).Will the same applies when myself makes the LED matrix??Or shall i need to add separate lower value capacitors for each MAX7219

The max7219 data sheet recommends one 0.1uF bypass and one 10uF smoothing cap per chip. I guess one 47uF cap per 4 chips could be OK, but I think it would be important to keep the cap as close to the Vcc pins of the 4 chips as possible and have wide traces joining them if on a pcb. You would still need the 0.1uF bypass cap for each chip.