Need help with arduino on perfboard

Hey guys,
I need to make an arduino on a perfboard, so I started following this tutorial (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard) but then realized I have an uno!(the tutorial says an uno wont work!). How can I create a perfboard arduino and program it using my uno?
Before I figured this out I started coming up with a list of supplies needed from tutorials:
16 mhz crystal
10 uf capacitors
22pf capacitors
28 pin ic socket adapter
5v l7805cv
atmega 328 with bootloader
various led's/resistors/buttons
So how do I recreate this tutorial using my uno?
Thanks,
Stephen

First you can make an UNO. And I you UNO and the 328p programming is ultra easy. Just pull your UNOs chip and put the other one in upload your sketch then put the chip in your project. As for the wiring just hook up the 16mhz crystal and caps then Google atmel328p pin out photo and you have your pin numbers.

See:

And

stephencampbell:
I need to make an arduino on a perfboard, so I started following this tutorial (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard) but then realized I have an uno!(the tutorial says an uno wont work!).

It is not the UNO that won't work, but the Tutorial that is wrong in this case. :astonished:

stephencampbell:
So how do I recreate this tutorial using my uno?

Use a reliable tutorial - Nick Gammon's, cited above. :smiley:

Thanks guys Ill get the parts listed in the tutorial,
what is the purpose of the male connectors?
Thanks,
Stephen

stephencampbell:

Which male connectors?

In Nick Gammon's second tutorial, the pinouts are explained as a 6 pin to connect an "FTDI breakout" board (or whatever is similar) to program using the bootloader, and a two pin to connect power.

Paul__B:

stephencampbell:

Which male connectors?

In Nick Gammon's second tutorial, the pinouts are explained as a 6 pin to connect an "FTDI breakout" board (or whatever is similar) to program using the bootloader, and a two pin to connect power.

Thanks this answers my question. This tutorial is great!

Sorry this may seem lazy, but I'm confused and worried I will order the wrong things. What parts do I need to make my perfboard arduino?

Thanks again,
Stephen

Really just the atmel328p the 16mhz crystal and the 2caps that go with the crystal. A voltage regulator is a nice touch and maybe some LEDs and a reset button. Its really up to you what you want on it.

And of course, the two 0.1µF bypass capacitors and the 10k pull-up on the reset - as in Nick's tutorial.

Seems like the bare minimum circuit has been posted many times:
'328P
16 MHz xtal, two 22pF caps
0.1uF cap on Vcc, AVcc
10K resistor on from Reset to +5, or +3.3 (and then 8 MHz xtal)
0.1uF cap to let DTR from FTDI Basic create a reset
0.1uF cap from Aref to Gnd (DO NOT CONNECT AREF TO +5)
header pins for FTDI are handy
header pins for ICSP are handy
diode in parallel with reset pullup helps prevent reset glitches, especially if a reset button is used

Very nice thread!
I have bookmarked those tutorials.

CrossRoads:
Seems like the bare minimum circuit has been posted many times:
'328P
16 MHz xtal, two 22pF caps
0.1uF cap on Vcc, AVcc
10K resistor on from Reset to +5, or +3.3 (and then 8 MHz xtal)
0.1uF cap to let DTR from FTDI Basic create a reset
0.1uF cap from Aref to Gnd (DO NOT CONNECT AREF TO +5)
header pins for FTDI are handy
header pins for ICSP are handy
diode in parallel with reset pullup helps prevent reset glitches, especially if a reset button is used

Thanks! Does this list include stuff for power input?
Thanks again,
Stephen

stephencampbell:

And that is the reason that each time someone comes here and says they want or “need” to build an Arduino on a perfboard, we always have to ask why?

Maybe it is an academic exercise, “because I can”, for the sheer satisfaction of assembling something yourself. Fair enough, as far as it goes.

The thing it definitely, certainly and absolutely is not, is practical. As things stand, it will be cheaper (generally less than the cost of the ATmega itself), more compact, arguably more reliable and clearly easier, to purchase a $2.50 Pro Mini with all the crystal, load capacitors, bypass capacitors, reset components, voltage regulator and status indicator, serial pinout and ICSP pinout ready to go. If you want it on perfboard, just mount the header pins and solder them into the perfboard. :smiley:

Paul__B:

stephencampbell:

And that is the reason that each time someone comes here and says they want or "need" to build an Arduino on a perfboard, we always have to ask why?

Maybe it is an academic exercise, "because I can", for the sheer satisfaction of assembling something yourself. Fair enough, as far as it goes.

The thing it definitely, certainly and absolutely is not, is practical. As things stand, it will be cheaper (generally less than the cost of the ATmega itself), more compact, arguably more reliable and clearly easier, to purchase a $2.50 Pro Mini with all the crystal, load capacitors, bypass capacitors, reset components, voltage regulator and status indicator, serial pinout and ICSP pinout ready to go. If you want it on perfboard, just mount the header pins and solder them into the perfboard. :smiley:

Good point!

But I need it all on one board to show to a committee on a new product.

Could I have an inclusive list of the parts needed, the only reason I'm not piecing together a parts list myself is I'm still a registered noob and I'm positive I'll forget something.

Thanks again,
Stephen

stephencampbell:
Could I have an inclusive list of the parts needed, the only reason I'm not piecing together a parts list myself is I'm still a registered noob and I'm positive I'll forget something.

Just take it from the schematic?

Paul__B:

stephencampbell:
Could I have an inclusive list of the parts needed, the only reason I’m not piecing together a parts list myself is I’m still a registered noob and I’m positive I’ll forget something.

Just take it from the schematic?

Thanks you’ve been extremely helpful, but I’m trying to recreate the uno on perfboard.

Thanks again,
Stephen

stephencampbell:
Thanks you've been extremely helpful, but I'm trying to recreate the UNO on perfboard.

Oh, you want to build a whole UNO now, I thought it was a basic system without the USB interface, which is to say, a Pro Mini.

You wanted a parts list. The parts you want are those that make up a (Pro) Mini, so if you include all the parts in the schematic (other than the connectors), you have your comprehensive parts list.

Paul__B:

stephencampbell:
Thanks you've been extremely helpful, but I'm trying to recreate the UNO on perfboard.

Oh, you want to build a whole UNO now, I thought it was a basic system without the USB interface, which is to say, a Pro Mini.

You wanted a parts list. The parts you want are those that make up a (Pro) Mini, so if you include all the parts in the schematic (other than the connectors), you have your comprehensive parts list.

Yeah I want a whole uno minus the USB interface, Ill just plug the ATMEGA328 into my uno I bought from the store to program it.

But the Pro mini uses the ATMEGA 168 not the 328.

I need a parts list for an UNO on a perfboard.

Thanks again,
Stephen

stephencampbell:
But the Pro mini uses the ATMEGA 168 not the 328.

No it doesn't, it's a 328. It will run any software that runs on an Uno.

OK, so I used the only available (on the Arduino site itself) schematic which happens to specify the "obsolete" version of the processor chip.

I have answered the questions - you want a parts list, read them off the schematic. You want a parts list specifically for a UNO (really? Including the power changeover functions and all?), read them off the UNO schematic.

I am giving up at this point.