Need help with buying stuff for 15m RGB LED strip

Hello,

I want someone to help me with the list of things I will need to make 15m LED strip work perfectly in my room.

I don't know what should I buy, how much should I buy so if any of you could make a list of these things calculated on 15m strip controlled by Arduino it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

it would be really helpful.

And it would be really helpful if you told us about the LED strip. What sort, individual addressable or whole strip, LED density of the strip, monochrome or RGB?

That is the point... I don't know a lot about it. One thing I know for sure is that I want RGB.

Is individual addressable the one where you control each LED color? if so I heard that its better to have a strip where you control 3 LEDs.

I just want to have something like this in my room... I am really confused about the stuff I need to make it happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOxCGzSEYw

Did you read the warning on that video? "The downside is that it can take a lot of time, depending on the number of lights, the complexity of the song and your experience level. Can be minutes to hours just to create a single minute of light show." That is AFTER you spend $400-$450 for a single 5-meter color ribbon, controller, and software. Are you sure you have the programming skills to write all that software? And you want one three times as long?

johnwasser:
Did you read the warning on that video? “The downside is that it can take a lot of time, depending on the number of lights, the complexity of the song and your experience level. Can be minutes to hours just to create a single minute of light show.” That is AFTER you spend $400-$450 for a single 5-meter color ribbon, controller, and software. Are you sure you have the programming skills to write all that software? And you want one three times as long?

This is my unfinished room and that little place under my ceiling is for RGB LED strip.
Maybe my explanation of what I want was wrong but I will try better this time:

I want 15M of RGB LED Strip which is fully controllable with a controller and today I heard about Arduino so I would like to be able to control my LEDs with a code too. (only for certain occasions but for everyday use I’d like it to be controlled with a controller).

Couple days ago I bought 5M and 10M RGB LED strip, 1 RGB Amplifier, 2 IP-20 (I believe) Power Supplies and 44 RGB LED controller but I returned it back because when I used certain colors e.g orange my 5M strip took orange color but my 10M strip was yellow-ish tho Red, Green, Blue, White and some other colors worked perfectly for both strips. Then I went to the shop where I bought those stuff and the guy told me that there was nothing wrong about connections the only problem was that I needed 15M and there was no way I could get enough power to run so much perfectly but I know there is.

This is why I need your help to guide me through the stuff I need to buy to make my 15M RGB LED strip work perfectly on every color and not necessary but hopefully write a code for it.

As for writing codes and programming… well I’m a freshman of Computer Science its kind of my thing.

Look if you are not going to cooperate then no one can help you.

You were asked a number of questions but only answered a few. The fact that you have 15 meters of LEDs is only half the story. We want to know how many LEDs you have. Most times the LED density in a strip is 30, 60 or 120 LEDs per meter. This has an enormous effect on the power supply you need. It also effects the sort of Arduino you will need, because of the memory it takes to hold the data in before you ship it out to the LEDs.

We also need to know what sort of strip it is. Like is it a WS2812b strip?

colors e.g orange my 5M strip took orange color but my 10M strip was yellow-ish

Orange is a difficult colour and unless the LEDs are made by the same manufacturer and come from the same batch you will see a difference. Buying one long strip increases your chances of getting consistency but does not guarantee it. If you look carefully at the strip you will see it is a few strips soldered together. This makes the spacing uneven at these points.

Also 15 meters is too long to just stick a voltage at one end and hope that is good enough, you need intermediate power points throughout the strip.

I don't have LED strips... as I said I bought everything I was told in local shop and returned it because it just didn't work the way it was supposed to so right now I have nothing.

All those questions you have are my questions to you.

What kind of LED should I buy? What kind of power supply do I need to make it work? Do I need RGB Amplifier/s and how many? Which Arduino products should I buy?

I can't calculate it on my own because I have no clue how they work and that is why I'm here to get full guidance.

What kind of LED should I buy?

WS2812b strip, at 60 LEDs per meter

What kind of power supply do I need to make it work?

60mA per LED, @ 15 meters means 60 * 15 * 0.06 = 54 Amps @ 5V.

Do I need RGB Amplifier/s

No.

Which Arduino products should I buy?

Arduino Mega will have 8K of memory, you need 2.7K for the strip. Or a Due or Zero.

Thank you.

You're welcome. You also need a fist full of 470uF capacitors and the skill to put it all together.

So sad that my electric is old school and has never worked on LED strips... He could be so helpful otherwise.

Then don't spend a lot of money all at once. Build it up slowly a bit at a time. Use several smaller power supplies and learn about decoupling and power distribution when driving LED strip's.