Need help with discontinued transistor

Greetings, I need your help! I have a broken Nikko Alpha 450 amplifier that has being sitting on a shelf for a year because I can't find one small 3 legged transistor. It reads NEC then under that N882 Q and under that C 59 and measures about one square centimeter. NEC can't find it in their data base, I can't find it on Google and I called every electronic part merchant that I could think about to no avail. Please advice. Is there a way that I can test it with my multi-meter to determine its specs, or is there a way to find a cross reference part? Please help!!!

See if you can find a nte cross reference :NTE Electronics Cross Reference Search If you can find one, then you can “backtrack” to find the common components that the NTE transisitor can substitute.

In what part of the amp circuit is it? It is probably not too specific and could be replaced by another of the same type. See if you can find a copy of the schematic. Maybe if you can figure out how it is being used, you can figure out what type of transistor it is.

It couldn't be a 2N882, could it?:

That's not a transistor, though (are you sure its a transistor?)...

Thanks for replying. I looked at the 2N882 and it looks completely different. The part I need is flat. I tried the cross-reference link provided by Charbot to no avail. It. sure looks like a transistor. I have never seen an electronic part that looks like a transistor without being one. It is located on the output of the amp sitting on top of one of the large audio amplifying transistors. I have pictures but I could not figure out how to post them. I can email them to you if you provide an email address, but I'll try to post them again. The part is weird; it has a hole in the middle of it for a screw that hold it in top of the larger transistor which is a 2SA1095A. It probably senses the temperature but I don't know. By the way I just realized that I made a mistake with the part number, it is actually D882 Q. That may have being my problem. I'm going to look for it again and get back to you. Thank again.

I found it!!!

I have never seen an electronic part that looks like a transistor without being one.

First off, I am glad you found it (having the right part number helps, doesn't it?).

Second; the part I showed you (2N882) came in 3-pin TO-18 and TO-92 cases - it isn't a transistor, but I can guarantee you that transistors do come in those case styles (the 2N2222 NPN generally is seen in a TO-92 case; older transistors are often seen in TO-18 cases), which is why I mentioned the part.

Just because it looks like a transistor doesn't mean it is one.

I have some parts that I believe are "house numbered" that look like TO-3 packaged transistors (I was hoping for a 2N3055 equivalent), but they don't ohm out like any transistor - they may be a form of MOSFET, but I have yet to find out how to ohm out a MOSFET. I am on the verge of building a transistor tester just to be able to figure them out...


cr0sh, I didn't know that some parts could look like transistors but not be one. I'll be more careful. I went through a lot of trouble for writing the wrong letter. What do you think that transistor is for? It's mounted on top of another big one on the output stage.

The amp now needs some work because a technician could not find the parts to fix it so he cut a few wires and a jumper in order to have the remaining channel working. That's not what I wanted. I have another question that I'm going to post on a new tread. The technician could not find the original parts and neither could I so I got something else that I want to make sure will work before I solder them in place. The original parts made by Toshiba are part numbers 2SC2565A and 2SA1095A. I came across the following also Toshiba parts 2SC2565 and 2SA1095. They have the same part number and look identical but without the A at the end. I have being told that the A at the end is an upgrade of the same part. Please let me know where I stand here. Am compromising performance? Are the left and right channels going to sound the same? Will they gave the same performance? Please see my new thread and advice me.

Alright - now you're cross posting, and that looks bad (nettiquette and all); you're off the hook this time...


As far as what the weird config is for, with a picture of what is going on, who knows? How are the leads connected? Is it arranged in some weird form of darlington? Maybe they were stacked to conserve space or use the same heatsink (doesn't sound like a great design, though)? Maybe they were stacked (and if the leads are in parallel) added together for slightly more current handling?

Any number of possibilities, and analog design like that is not my forte, unfortunately. You might have better luck regarding this if you post on a board for vintage (is it vintage) audio amplifiers or stereo/hifi enthusiasts...

Good luck getting it fixed!


Hello there! It's not connected in parallel and there's plenty of room next to the 2SA1095A that it sits on top of, so is not there to save space. That's why I thought it was acting a heat sensor. Since I found the part, figuring out what it does only satisfies my curiosity. My concern now is weather or not the left and the right channels will have the same specs if I use the 2SA1095 and 2SC2565 instead of the 2SA1095A and 2SC2565A to repair the blow channel. Do you know exactly what the A suffix represents?

Please see my new thred "The letter at the end of the part number"

Actually, it could be acting as a heat sensor!

I seem to recall that some transistors when hooked up in a weird manner (or even a sane manner) will change values, etc based on temperature. Theres even a way to use a transistor in such a manner to get "noise" out of it for a true random number generator (very useful for encryption).

So maybe it is? You can't really know unless you have the schematic handy (and even then it may be difficult to tell)...


I forgot to tell you that the amp is 28 years old.

What about the A sufix?