Need help with getting a motor driver

Hello everybody,

My name is Omar Ibrahim and right now I am trying to build a roboter with some of my friends. Now we have problems deciding/finding a motor driver because we don't really have alot of knowledge about it.

Regarding my motor it is from this chasis: http://www.robotshop.com/eu/en/iron-man-3-4wd-all-terrain-chassis-arduino.html#Specifications

Most important specs: Recommended voltage: 3 - 6 V Stall current at 6V: 4 A per motor No-load current at 6 V: 300 mA per motor No-load output shaft speed at 6 V: 220 RPM

Ofcourse we want to change the direction it is going with the PWM output of the Arduino and such we also want to controll how fast it goes so we can move around big obstacles with lower speeds. Regarding the Arduino we use it is the Arduino Mega R3.

I hope you guys can help us out because we have no real answer here.

Nice Greets, Omar Ibrahim

You will require MOSFET H-bridges for the motors at that low voltage - pololu have a good range and also sell some of the MOSFET chips directly and as minimal breakout boards. You only need a 4A peak rating, a continuous rating of 1A or so sounds plenty. MOSFET drivers won't lose you any voltage, darlington drivers will lose 2V or more which is too much for your system unless you go to higher voltage.

The Pololu DRV8833 works well at low voltages and you can pair the two H-bridges to double the current capacity. And it is small and inexpensive.

The only downside is that it needs two PWM connections per motor.

...R

MarkT: You will require MOSFET H-bridges for the motors at that low voltage - pololu have a good range and also sell some of the MOSFET chips directly and as minimal breakout boards. You only need a 4A peak rating, a continuous rating of 1A or so sounds plenty. MOSFET drivers won't lose you any voltage, darlington drivers will lose 2V or more which is too much for your system unless you go to higher voltage.

Hey man thx for the reply will check it out :D

Robin2: The Pololu DRV8833 works well at low voltages and you can pair the two H-bridges to double the current capacity. And it is small and inexpensive.

The only downside is that it needs two PWM connections per motor.

...R

Thank you for the reply I will check it out and btw I got 14PWM connections :D

I hope it works with one of those. DO I just need to make a H Bridge then btw?

AgenteSoldier: DO I just need to make a H Bridge then btw?

Check out the links BEFORE you ask supplementary questions!

The DRV8833 is a h-bridge.

...R