Need help with project

I am a new to the Ardunio world and could use some help. My project is monitoring some data and would like to be able view or monitor the data from a cell phone and have capability to turn off the motor from the cell phone. I purchased a Arduino Uno, and I think I need a WiFi shield, based on what I have read. Any help would be great!

help for what?

Is a WiFi shield capable working with a cell phone (iPhone)?

If the shield can act as an access point, yes.

We recommend that Arduino beginners start small. Get an Arduino and work through some of the examples that come with the programming software (IDE), in order to learn the programming language and special features of the Arduino. That way you avoid endless frustration.

For specific help with a project, first read the "How to use this forum" post.

a1cbr:
Is a WiFi shield capable working with a cell phone (iPhone)?

Yes. However you may find it easier to use Bluetooth if you are not already familiar with web programming.

If you do want to use WiFi ...

You could use an ESP8266-01 as a much cheaper alternative to a WiFi shield.

Or if you use one the ESP8266 based boards such as a Wemos or NodeMCU you would not need the Uno.

...R

WiFi shields have been pretty much superseded by the ESP8266 (and its successor).

The ESP is a substantially more capable processor, so the UNO (which is itself nowhere near as practical as the Nano version) only introduces the complication of communicating between two processors.

The WeMOS D1 Mini is seriously cheaper than either a UNO or a WiFi shield; by all means practice on the UNO but just go buy a few (not just one!) WeMOS D1 Minis while you are at it!

The ESP-01 - cheaper again :astonished: - has its place, but the D1 Mini is the best all-rounder.

Robin2:
Yes. However you may find it easier to use Bluetooth if you are not already familiar with web programming.

If you do want to use WiFi ... loop

You could use an ESP8266-01 as a much cheaper alternative to a WiFi shield.

Or if you use one the ESP8266 based boards such as a Wemos or NodeMCU you would not need the Uno.

...R

Bluetooth might be an option, but I think WiFi might be best. My circuit has to have the capability of being monitored via cell phone and controlled by the cell phone.

My circuit has to have the capability of being monitored via cell phone and controlled by the cell phone.

My opinion is that, if an Android phone, Bluetooth would be easier to use for that than WiFi.

Can the same application work with IPhone?

I do not know anything about IPhone, sorry.

Thank you for trying to help me out!

a1cbr:
Can the same application work with IPhone?

Which application? If it's the one running on the Arduino, BT and wifi facilities exist on all types of smart phone, so it would only change the phone apps that you use to interface BT and wifi. Mostly, those are functionally the same (for example, serial BT apps).

"Thank you for trying to help me out!"

See if any of the below projects are similar to what you want to do. The WeMOS ESP8266 boards are ~$4 ordered from china and ~$7 if ordered in the US.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/?s=web+server