Need help with RAMPS (reprap 3d printer shield for mega)

I just got a new RAMPS board in the mail. XD

1. Can you hook the steppers directly to RAMPS board. If so, how much current per phase can it handle?

2. Does anyone know of any good tutorials for wiring the prebuilt board?

3. If you cannot hook the steppers up directly, how do you connect an easydriver to this since I have some?

Did Santa Claus deliver it unexpectedly?

Or did you omit to enquire about its suitability for your motors before you ordered it?

What sort of stepper drivers is it using? The Pololu A4988 drivers are common and they can power a motor that needs 1 amp or maybe 1.2 amps or a little more with heatsinks and cooling fans.

You will probably get a lot more info on the RepRap Forum.

...R

Yes you can connect steppers directly to the RAMPS board. Did you by it as a kit for a 3d printer? If it is not part of a kit, you may also have buy the motor drivers.

I have four steppers in total. My three axis drive motors are these:
Nema17 17 Stepper Motor 36oz-in/ 2600g/cm 3d Printer RepRap Medel Prusa for sale online | eBay They are 12v and 0.4 amps/phase. I have 3 sparkfun easydrivers to drive them if needed. My extruder motor is five volts 0.84 amps/phase. Lastly, the RAMPS controller I bought a-la-cart here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111322422790?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

That board just has sockets for the stepper motor driver boards. You will need to be careful to make sure the pinouts on the driver boards match the expectations of your board.

The Easydrivers should have plenty of capacity for the low current stepper motors but I would suggest an A4988 board for the high current motor.

I have no idea if Easydrivers can be used with your board.

...R

Yes the motor drivers must be plugged into the female headers on the ramps board and the motors are plugged into the male pin headers. unfortunately I don't think the easydrivers are directly pin compatible with the RAMPS board so will have to figure out how to make the necessary connections between the easydrivers and the RAMPS. or just buy the proper drivers mentioned in an early post.The Ramps board is not a controller or Motor driver per se- the Mega 2560, or sometimes Sanguinolo (sp?), is the controller (which you bought, right?), and the polulo A4988 chips are the drivers. the Ramps board is more or less just an interface board that makes the connections clean and easy.

like this ,,, you see the drivers + heatsinks ,,

use drivers !!

download.jpg

mykiscool:
I have four steppers in total. My three axis drive motors are these:
Nema17 17 Stepper Motor 36oz-in/ 2600g/cm 3d Printer RepRap Medel Prusa for sale online | eBay They are 12v and 0.4 amps/phase. I have 3 sparkfun easydrivers to drive them if needed. My extruder motor is five volts 0.84 amps/phase. Lastly, the RAMPS controller I bought a-la-cart here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111322422790?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Those motors are a very bad selection for a 3D-printer. To get speed and torque, you need a much lower voltage-motor.
like this http://reprap.me/hardware/nema17.html

If you want to use those 12V-motors you need to power your RAMPS board with 24V - check with the manufacturer to see, if your board can handle this. Still it will not be very good, compared to the very low-voltage motors like the one i linked to.

Some reading: http://www.selene.co/Blog/2011/07/stepper-motor-voltages-explained/

// Per.

seanz2003:
Yes the motor drivers must be plugged into the female headers on the ramps board and the motors are plugged into the male pin headers. unfortunately I don't think the easydrivers are directly pin compatible with the RAMPS board so will have to figure out how to make the necessary connections between the easydrivers and the RAMPS. or just buy the proper drivers mentioned in an early post.The Ramps board is not a controller or Motor driver per se- the Mega 2560, or sometimes Sanguinolo (sp?), is the controller (which you bought, right?), and the polulo A4988 chips are the drivers. the Ramps board is more or less just an interface board that makes the connections clean and easy.

The RAMPS board is for Pololu A4988 drivers surely? You need 4 or 5 depending on
how many motors... There is much information online about RepRap and the various
electronics packages.

you are missing the stepper drivers :drooling_face: