Need help with Robotics Project

Hello,

I am going to be involved with a robotics project. I have decent experience with Arduino but I need help with picking out the right components.

Basically, my robot is going to get inputs from the arduino which I will try to control using an Xbox 360 controller.
The communication protocol is something like this

Xbox360 controller->Laptop->Xbee (via Usb)->Xbee(on the ardunio)->arduino(on the robot)

I am currently unsure as to which Xbees and Xbee adaptors I should be using for this communication protocol.
I currently have the 360 controller and reciever and an Arduino Mega.

What Xbee parts should I get? Also, is there a better way to implement this wirless communication protocol (e.g. without Xbees and using some other wireless module?)

Thank you

I am currently unsure as to which Xbees and Xbee adaptors I should be using for this communication protocol.

Two XBees talking to each other only is what the point-to-point models, Series 1, are meant for.

For the shields, I recommend these
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9976?
not because I’m a big fan of Sparkfun (I’m not), but because they allow you to switch between using the hardware serial port or a software serial port (on pins 2 and 3) to talk to the XBee. Keeping the hardware port open for debugging is very important.

Also, is there a better way to implement this wirless communication protocol

There are other ways. Whether they are better depends on your definition of better.