Need help with RS232

Hi, i recently made this board http://lh6.ggpht.com/_dmTcJhFq3hI/S32KCkjOoAI/AAAAAAAAAdI/FlThqrOXLY4/s800/HPIM0564.JPG and bought a cheap rs232 to USB cable. But the cable was too simple and doesnt had the 'handshake signals , DTR particularly, which was needed to reset the board in order the upload to start. Is there some way to upload the projects with this cable without changing the bootloader?

ps:my english sux :) i'll be grateful for the help

Is there some way to upload the projects with this cable without changing the bootloader?

The "old" method from the days before auto-reset: Just after you click the "upload" button on the Arduino IDE screen, press the RESET button on the arduino.

I tried it but only once succeeded , it is all in the timing . I am searching for a hardware solution which can be created to reset without the handshake signals.

There is no hardware solution, you have to get good at timing. When you see the message saying the size of the upload is the time to hit the reset button.

too bad, only 1 of 10 times tried i succeed to upload. thanks for the hint anyway

When I do this I hold the reset button down, click upload in the ide then immediately let go of the reset button. This works every time.

I only have to do it with an ftdi cable, the Sparkfun usb/ttl breakout board works perfectly without a reset.

If you only got 1 in 10 successes, perhaps you're "aiming" at the wrong instant. As jabber says, you want to do the reset at approximately the same time that you click the upload button, NOT wait for the compile to finish and the actual upload program to start...

NOT wait for the compile to finish and the actual upload program to start.

Odd because that always works for me (well 9 times out of 10)

Odd because that always works for me

Huh. Could depend on the host OS, and how much “lag” there is between what is actually happening and when it shows up in the IDE results window…

Also, I think I noticed that the newest AVRdude (as distributed with Mac arduino) is somewhat more flexible in its timing than previous versions; it seems to wait longer for the bootloader to respond than it used to…