Need info about this project of ours..

Hello newbie here…
Just want to ask about something…
We have this project wherein we need to synchronize ntp and lighting system?

the ntp will act as detector whereing all the lights will automatically on if it already detects (darkness) which is already evening…

is it possible for this project to be done?

What is an ntp?

MorganS: What is an ntp?

Network time protocol

NTP is just for getting the correct time so you can set your Real Time Clock module (RTC).

the problem is we dont know how to trigger the lights when evening hits using ntp? is it possible? or do we need another things?

using a NTP to set a RTC is a bit overkill don't you think....

But let me ask a question, how do you know when it's evening when looking at the clock? (This would involve, what is your definition of evening?)

Despite the name, a light sensor is really good at detecting darkness. Many basic Arduino "kits" come with an LDR and an exercise that shows you how to use it.

Start here for some other good ideas: https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/102

MorganS: Despite the name, a light sensor is really good at detecting darkness. Many basic Arduino "kits" come with an LDR and an exercise that shows you how to use it.

Start here for some other good ideas: https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/102

yes sir our kit have a ldr.. we already test that one.. but we need to use ntp on our project.. is it possible, what are the things we need to search for.. sorry were newbie on arduino, were networking students.

If you ask study questions on a forum the least you can do is read all the replies and answer counter questions ;)

Let's try again, and I'll quote

septillion: But let me ask a question, how do you know when it's evening when looking at the clock? (This would involve, what is your definition of evening?)

septillion: If you ask study questions on a forum the least you can do is read all the replies and answer counter questions ;)

Let's try again, and I'll quote

i think thats the question am also want to be answered..

maybe base in the current time(NTP)then make a variable for scheduled time current time = scheduled time?

Hi,

Is this a school/college/university project?

This may be why "we need to synchronize ntp and lighting system? "

It may be required in the project requirements.

Tom… :slight_smile:

You are overthinking it. How do YOU, when looking at a clock, know when it's evening?

If it reads 3:42, it is evening? 19:52, evening?

So what is the definition of evening?

septillion: You are overthinking it. How do YOU, when looking at a clock, know when it's evening?

If it reads 3:42, it is evening? 19:52, evening?

So what is the definition of evening?

As per US military standard, 1700 is the start of evening. This is also COB (close of business) in the civilian world.

Then it's a simple matter off checking if the time is between 17:00 and 0:00...

There is an NTP sketch in the Ethernet examples that come with the IDE.