Need Potentiometer PC Interface and Data Logging (Maybe?)

Hi,

So, I need a continuous rating from a dial that reads on my computer from a scale of 0-100. I am unfamiliar with electronics but from what I am gathering I need a potentiometer, a knob, some kind of board through which the potentiometer can communicate with the computer, and a way to store the data. I am going to poke around the internet some more to see if I can find anything similar to what I want to put together but I guess what I need to know is whether or not I am on the right track/what components am I missing/etc…I want to be able to make a list of steps that have to be taken to put this together.

Any help would be appreciated

All the best,

Andrew

Simple pot connected to an Arduino, and USB cable from Arduino to PC, will get you 0-5V data from pot represented in digital form as 0-1023. One leg of 10K pot connects to 5V, the other the Gnd, the middle/wiper connects to A0.

How the PC reads that and logs it, I don't know. I've not done more than watch it scroll by in the serial monitor. Could be this simple on the Arduino side:

void setup(){
Serial.begin (115200); // set serial monitor to match
}
void loop(){
// read pot & send out
Serial.println (analogRead(A0) );  // read pot, send to PC as 0-1023, CR-LF (so one line per integer)
delay (100); // 100 millisecond delay  between readings (~10 times a second).  Change as needed
}

is there a specific Arduino that would work best for what I am attempting to accomplish?

Any one that has a USB interface will do.