need some guidance in an infrared subject

hello guys, first i want to wish you a Merry Christmas and happy holidays, my request is i need please some guidance in this subject :

I have an RC helicopter remote control, what i want to do is try to control a robot build around arduino Pro Micro, so i am asking please for some guidance on what should i do and what should search and look for ?

thank you in advance :)

First get an IR receiver (not just an IR transistor) to see if the output of the remote can be decoded.

There are many threads on how to read remote controls.

Once you can decode the remote then the fun part starts with using the info to control your device.

Weedpharma

firashelou: I have an RC helicopter remote control

I thought RC stood for radio control, yet subject line talks of infrared.....

Fortunately for the OP, "R" also stands for "remote".

Weedpharma

But is a helicopter really going to be controlled by IR not radio?

I think that very cheap indoor helicopter use IR.

Weedpharma

weedpharma:
I think that very cheap indoor helicopter use IR.

Weedpharma

Ah ok.

Well, firashelou, you need look no further than Ken Shirriff’s Blog where all will be revealed.

You’ll have to make an assumption before you start, or check your helicopter docs, that the remote modulates the message on a carrier of some frequency such as 38kHz. Then you’ll need to get hold of a receiver such as a TSOP348XX where the XX is th frequency of your carrier, so likely a TSOP34838 for example.

Then use one of Ken’s programs to decode your signals, so that you know what code is sent by each button.

Lastly in your robot code, use a series of if statements to look for those codes and tell the robot what to do.

So in my IR robot code I had a bunch of ifs like this:

// *********************** STOP
    if (results.value == 3148 || results.value == 1100) {   
      motorA_speed = 0;
      motorB_speed = 0;
      Serial.print("Stopping ");
      Serial.print(motorA_speed);
      Serial.print("\t");
      Serial.println(motorB_speed);

analogWrite(motorA_speed_pin, motorA_speed);
      analogWrite(motorB_speed_pin, motorB_speed);
    } //end of stopping
    // *********************** END OF STOP

well first about remote control, i was just referring to it, because here in the public world it's known remote control so it wasn't intentional, second i guess we can call it remote control because it uses the same way to make a connection which is the IR

it is a cheap heli controled by IR

@JimboZA well yes i found that blog but i wasn't sure to go that way,

how can an RC heli can be decoded and how it can't ? how do i know ?

i was asking where to start and what to search for, so thanks guys for the info

First you will need to get an IR remote receiver. These a dirt cheap and demodulates the 38kh (if that is what is used in your remote) so that the arduino can read the signal.

Weedpharma

firashelou: how can an RC heli can be decoded and how it can't ? how do i know ?

Well first as weedpharma and I both said you'll need to get a demodulator. In the absence of any info to the contrary, go for a 38kHz one, but if you can verify the heli's moduation frequency from the maker somehow, that would obviously be better.

Then run the sketch from Ken's blog and it will tell you what code is generated by each button. Last you code your sketch to look for those codes, and tell your robot what to do for each code it gets.

aha ok thank you so much

i have a IR small one, but how can i know if it can do the job, if it is a 38KHz ?! :fearful:

firashelou: aha ok thank you so much

i have a IR small one, but how can i know if it can do the job, if it is a 38KHz ?! :fearful:

Try it.

Weedpharma

I'd try it out, reasonable chance it will work.

If not, you'll need to get a normal IR photdiode and an oscilloscope, and follow Dave Jones' instructions on EEV Blog #506, at least as far as where you see the frequency of the carrier wave.

ok but no oscilloscope ! is it necessary ?!

Hi All,
Yes Weedpharma is right the cheap indoor copters and quads are IR. I brought a very cheap one just for the fun of it, but it gets boring after a time, perhaps I should try something else.

Here’s a pic of a typical IR RC note the 3 IR transmitters (LEDS).

Hope it helps, Regards

Mel.

Cactusface: Hi All, Yes Weedpharma is right the cheap indoor copters and quads are IR. I brought a very cheap one just for the fun of it, but it gets boring after a time, perhaps I should try something else.

Here's a pic of a typical IR RC note the 3 IR transmitters (LEDS).

Hope it helps, Regards

Mel.

help with what :( ?